on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: Dutch, English, French, German
Where did the English Bode family come from? What is the English Bode family crest and coat of arms? When did the Bode family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Bode family history?Bode is an ancient Anglo-Saxon name. It was a name given to a person who was a person with a striking physique.
One relatively recent invention that did much to standardize English spelling was the printing press. However, before its invention even the most literate people recorded their names according to sound rather than spelling. The spelling variations under which the name Bode has appeared include Body, Boddy, Boddie, Bodie, Bode, Bodhy, Bodin, Bott, Botter, Bodds, Bods, Botty and many more.
First found in Hampshire where they held a family seat from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bode research. Another 269 words (19 lines of text) covering the years 1086, 1296 and 1597 are included under the topic Early Bode History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Bode Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Bode family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 43 words (3 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
At this time, the shores of the New World beckoned many English families that felt that the social climate in England was oppressive and lacked opportunity for change. Thousands left England at great expense in ships that were overcrowded and full of disease. A great portion of these settlers never survived the journey and even a greater number arrived sick, starving, and without a penny. The survivors, however, were often greeted with greater opportunity than they could have experienced back home. These English settlers made significant contributions to those colonies that would eventually become the United States and Canada. An examination of early immigration records and passenger ship lists revealed that people bearing the name Bode arrived in North America very early:
Bode Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Laurens Bode, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1766
- Lorentz Bode, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1766
- Martin Bode, who arrived in America in 1778
- Friedrich Bode, who arrived in America in 1780
- Heinrich Bode, who landed in America in 1780
Bode Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Hinrich Bode, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1803
- Johann H Bode, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1804
- Just Bode, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1804
- Herman Bode, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1804
- Just, Elisabeth, Christian and Catharina Bode, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1804
Bode Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. Charles Bodé U.E who arrived at Port Roseway [Shelburne], Nova Scotia on October 26, 1783 was passenger number 19 aboard the ship "HMS Clinton", picked up on September 20, 1783 at East River, New York, traveling with his wife and 2 children
- Mrs. Ann Bodé U.E who arrived at Port Roseway [Shelburne], Nova Scotia on October 26, 1783 was passenger number 71 aboard the ship "HMS Clinton", picked up on September 20, 1783 at East River, New York, traveling with his wife and 2 children
- Miss Mary Bodé U.E (b. 1773), aged 10 who arrived at Port Roseway [Shelburne], Nova Scotia on October 26, 1783 was passenger number 124 aboard the ship "HMS Clinton", picked up on September 20, 1783 at East River, New York, traveling with his wife and 2 children
- Miss Margaret Bodé U.E (b. 1765), aged 18 who arrived at Port Roseway [Shelburne], Nova Scotia on October 26, 1783 was passenger number 123 aboard the ship "HMS Clinton", picked up on September 20, 1783 at East River, New York, traveling with his wife and 2 children
- Boyd Henry Bode (1873-1953), American educator, professor of education at Ohio State University
- Ralf D Bode (1941-2001), German-born, American cinematographer
- Hendrik Wade Bode (1905-1982), American (Dutch descent) electrical engineer and academic
- Elert Bode (b. 1934), Breslau-born, German television actor
- Johann Elert Bode (1747-1826), German astronomer
- Wolfram Bode (b. 1942), German biochemist
- Johnny Bode (1912-1983), Swedish singer and composer
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
The Bode Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Bode Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 2 December 2015 at 06:10.
on orders of $85 or more