on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: Dutch, English, French, German
Where did the English Bode family come from? What is the English Bode family crest and coat of arms? When did the Bode family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Bode family history?Bode is an ancient Anglo-Saxon name. It was a name given to a person who was a person with a striking physique.
One relatively recent invention that did much to standardize English spelling was the printing press. However, before its invention even the most literate people recorded their names according to sound rather than spelling. The spelling variations under which the name Bode has appeared include Body, Boddy, Boddie, Bodie, Bode, Bodhy, Bodin, Bott, Botter, Bodds, Bods, Botty and many more.
First found in Hampshire where they held a family seat from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bode research. Another 269 words(19 lines of text) covering the years 1086, 1296 and 1597 are included under the topic Early Bode History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Bode Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Bode family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 43 words(3 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
At this time, the shores of the New World beckoned many English families that felt that the social climate in England was oppressive and lacked opportunity for change. Thousands left England at great expense in ships that were overcrowded and full of disease. A great portion of these settlers never survived the journey and even a greater number arrived sick, starving, and without a penny. The survivors, however, were often greeted with greater opportunity than they could have experienced back home. These English settlers made significant contributions to those colonies that would eventually become the United States and Canada. An examination of early immigration records and passenger ship lists revealed that people bearing the name Bode arrived in North America very early:
Bode Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Laurens Bode, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1766
- Lorentz Bode, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1766
- Martin Bode, who arrived in America in 1778
- Friedrich Bode, who arrived in America in 1780
- Heinrich Bode, who landed in America in 1780
Bode Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Hinrich Bode, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1803
- Johann H Bode, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1804
- Just Bode, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1804
- Herman Bode, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1804
- Just, Elisabeth, Christian and Catharina Bode, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1804
Bode Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. Charles Bodé U.E who arrived at Port Roseway [Shelburne], Nova Scotia on October 26, 1783 was passenger number 19 aboard the ship "HMS Clinton", picked up on September 20, 1783 at East River, New York, traveling with his wife and 2 children
- Mrs. Ann Bodé U.E who arrived at Port Roseway [Shelburne], Nova Scotia on October 26, 1783 was passenger number 71 aboard the ship "HMS Clinton", picked up on September 20, 1783 at East River, New York, traveling with his wife and 2 children
- Miss Mary Bodé U.E (b. 1773), aged 10 who arrived at Port Roseway [Shelburne], Nova Scotia on October 26, 1783 was passenger number 124 aboard the ship "HMS Clinton", picked up on September 20, 1783 at East River, New York, traveling with his wife and 2 children
- Miss Margaret Bodé U.E (b. 1765), aged 18 who arrived at Port Roseway [Shelburne], Nova Scotia on October 26, 1783 was passenger number 123 aboard the ship "HMS Clinton", picked up on September 20, 1783 at East River, New York, traveling with his wife and 2 children
- Hendrik Wade Bode (1905-1982), American (Dutch descent) electrical engineer and academic
- Ralf D Bode (1941-2001), German-born, American cinematographer
- Boyd Henry Bode (1873-1953), American educator, professor of education at Ohio State University
- Johnny Bode (1912-1983), Swedish singer and composer
- Wolfram Bode (b. 1942), German biochemist
- Johann Elert Bode (1747-1826), German astronomer
- Elert Bode (b. 1934), Breslau-born, German television actor
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
The Bode Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Bode Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 7 February 2013 at 07:45.
on orders of $85 or more