Berney History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Berney family
The surname Berney was first found in Austria, where the name Bernay emerged in mediaeval times as one of the notable families of the region. From the 13th century the surname was identified with the great social and economic evolution which made this territory a landmark contributor to the development of the nation.
Important Dates for the Berney family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Berney research. Another 155 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1771, 1803, 1804, 1808, 1824, 1853, 1866, and 1881 are included under the topic Early Berney History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Berney Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Bernay, Bernaye, Berney, Bernais, Bernaie, Bernaies, Barnay, Baernay, Barnaye, Baernaye, Barnais, Baernais, Barnaie, Baernaie, Barnaies, Baernaies, Barney and many more.
Early Notables of the Berney family (pre 1700)
During this period prominent bearers of the name Berney were Jakob Bernay (1824-1881), a German philologist and philosophical writer was born in Hamburg, the son of Jewish parents on September 11, 1824, and died in Bonn on May 26, 1881. In 1853 he...
Another 42 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Berney Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Berney migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Typical Berney Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Berney Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Ellen Berney, who arrived in New York, NY in 1816 
- Thomas Berney, who landed in New York, NY in 1816 
Contemporary Notables of the name Berney (post 1700)
- Arthur Berney (b. 1930), American Professor Emeritus at the Boston College Law School
- Sir Hanson Berney (d. 1778), 6th Baronet of Parkehall, English peer, Sheriff of Norwich in 1762
- Sir Thomas Reedham Berney (1893-1975), 10th Baronet of Parkehell, English peer
- Sir Thomas Berney (d. 1742), 5th Baronet of Parkehell, English peer
- Sir Julian Reedham Stuart Berney (b. 1952), 11th Baronet of Parkehell, English peer
- Sir John Berney (1757-1825), 7th Baronet of Parkehell, English peer
- Sir Henry Hanson Berney (1843-1907), 9th Baronet of Parkehell, English peer
- Sir Hanson Berney (1780-1870), 8th Baronet of Parkehell, English peer
- John Berney Ladbrooke (1803-1879), English landscape painter, third son of Robert Ladbrooke
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)