Berggren History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The surname Berggren comes from the Old High German word "berg," which means "mountain." The first bearers of the name no doubt came from a mountain or high ground. The name is often found with the preposition "Van den," which mean "from the." In a low-lying, flat country like the Netherlands any area of higher ground was quite prestigious and as such, this was a popular and prestigious surname.
Early Origins of the Berggren family
The surname Berggren was first found in Holland, where it is thought to have existed since the 15th century.
Important Dates for the Berggren family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Berggren research. Another 27 words (2 lines of text) covering the years 1664, 1709, 1748, 1755, 1799, and 1873 are included under the topic Early Berggren History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Berggren Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Berger, Bergen, Berg, Van Berg, Van Berger, Van Bergen, Van den Berger, Van den Berg, Van der Berg, Van den Bergh and many more.
Early Notables of the Berggren family (pre 1700)
From this era of Dutch history, those of this who distinguished themselves included the counts Van den Berghs, beginning in the 16th century; Johan van den Bergh (1664-1755), mayor of the...
Another 30 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Berggren Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Berggren migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Typical Berggren Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Berggren Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- A Berggren, who arrived in Valparaiso, Chile in 1850 
- Anna Berggren, aged 21, who arrived in New York, NY in 1869 
Contemporary Notables of the name Berggren (post 1700)
- Wes Berggren (1971-1999), American musician
- Dick Berggren (b. 1942), American motorsports announcer and magazine editor
- Axel W. Berggren, American politician, Representative from New York 43rd District, 1936, 1952 
- Jan Å Berggren (b. 1946), well known Swedish Real Estate developer
- Arne Berggren (b. 1960), Norwegian novelist, children's writer, songwriter and rock musician
- Liza Berggren (b. 1986), Swedish fashion model and former Miss World Sweden
- Christian Berggren (b. 1950), Swedish professor of Industrial Management
- Magnus Berggren (b. 1968), Swedish professor of organic electronics
- Sven Berggren (1837-1917), Swedish botanist, explorer and university professor
- Evy Berggren (b. 1934), Swedish gymnast and Olympic champion
- ... (Another 7 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 4) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html