100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: Dutch-Alt, Dutch, English, German, Irish, Swedish
Where did the Dutch Bergen family come from? What is the Dutch Bergen family crest and coat of arms? When did the Bergen family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Bergen family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Berger, Bergen, Berg, Van Berg, Van Berger, Van Bergen, Van den Berger, Van den Berg, Van der Berg, Van den Bergh and many more.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Bergen Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Hans Hans Bergen, who landed in New Netherland(s) in 1620
- Martin Gerretsen Van Bergen, who landed in Albany, NY in 1630
- Hans Hansen Bergen, who arrived in New York in 1633
- Hans Hansen Van Bergen, who landed in New York, NY in 1633
- Breckje Hans Bergen, who arrived in New York, NY in 1661
Bergen Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Hans Bergen, who landed in New York in 1709
Bergen Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Joh V Bergen, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1804
- Andrew Bergen, aged 24, arrived in New York in 1835
- Casper Bergen, aged 19, arrived in New York, NY in 1847
- John Bergen, who arrived in Tippecanoe County, Ind in 1848
- Bridget Bergen, aged 16, landed in New York in 1849
Bergen Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Moses B Bergen, who landed in Mississippi in 1900
Bergen Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- John Bergen who settled in St. John's Newfoundland and married in 1814
- Abram Bergen, who landed in Manitoba in 1875
- Cornelius Bergen, who landed in Manitoba in 1875
- Franz Bergen, who arrived in Manitoba in 1875
- Henry Bergen, who arrived in Manitoba in 1875
Bergen Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Honora Bergen, aged 24, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Sea Park"
- Mary Bergen, aged 18, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Royal Albert"
Bergen Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Anne Bergen arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Stately" in 1851
- John Bergen arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Stately" in 1851
- Frances Bergen (1922-2006), born Frances Westerman, American actress and fashion model, wife of ventriloq Uist Edgar Bergen
- William Aloysius "Bill" Bergen (1878-1943), American Major League Baseball catcher who played from 1901 through 1911
- Robert "Bob" Bergen (b. 1964), American voice actor, current voice of Porky Pig
- William Benjamin Bergen, American aerospace engineer, who became President of Aerospace Operations in 1971
- Edgar Bergen (1903-1978), born Edgar John Bergren, American ventriloq Uist, actor and radio performer known for his double entendres with Charlie, his dummy and his fictional feuds with W.C. Fields, inducted into the Radio Hall of Fame, father of Candice Bergen
- Candice Patricia Bergen (b. 1946), American five-time Emmy Award, two-time Golden Globe winning American actress
- Polly Bergen (b. 1930), American Emmy Award-winning actress, singer, and entrepreneur
- Steve von Bergen, Swiss footballer
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Haverkamp, Alfred. Medieval Germany 1056-1273 2nd edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print.
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
- Swierenga, Robert P. Compiler Dutch Emigrant to the United State, South Africa, South America and Southeast Asia 1835-1880 An Alphabetical Listing by Househould Heads and Independent Persons. Wilmington, DE: Scholary Resources, 1983. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Kapff, Rudolf. Schwäbische Geschlechtsnamen. Stuttgart: Verlag Silberburg, 1927. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Großes Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
The Bergen Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Bergen Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 9 January 2014 at 09:19.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!