100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, Irish, Scottish
Where did the Irish Mitchell family come from? What is the Irish Mitchell family crest and coat of arms? When did the Mitchell family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Mitchell family history?The surname Mitchell an old English name of Norman roots. Although there are no records of the name in Ireland prior to the 17th century, it has none the less become a well known and prominent Irish name.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Mitchell, Mitchel and others.
First found in Surrey, but were well established in Ireland by the 17th century. They joined many English and Scottish families in the Plantation of Ulster and soon blended in with the native Irish. One of the first on records was John Mitchell who was listed as a poll-money commissioner for King's County (Offaly) in 1661. 
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Mitchell research. Another 251 words(18 lines of text) covering the years 1068, 1815, and 1875 are included under the topic Early Mitchell History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Mitchell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Mitchell family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 131 words(9 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Mitchell Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Francis Mitchell, who landed in Virginia in 1618
- Maudlin Mitchell, who sailed to Virginia in 1620
- Maudlin Mitchell, who arrived in Virginia in 1620
- Experience Mitchell, who landed in Plymouth, Massachusetts in 1623
- Mathew Mitchell, who arrived in Connecticut in 1630
Mitchell Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Saml Mitchell, who landed in Virginia in 1706
- Edwd Mitchell, who arrived in Virginia in 1706
- Benjamin Mitchell, who arrived in Maryland in 1752
- William Mitchell and his wife Agnes Buchanan, who emigrated from Scotland to Connecticut in 1755
- Richard Mitchell, who arrived in America in 1760-1763
Mitchell Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Spencer Cochrane Mitchell, who arrived in Maryland in 1800
- Sarah Mitchell, aged 25, arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1804
- Jane Mitchell, who landed in America in 1804
- Peter Mitchell, who landed in Savanna(h), Georgia in 1811
- Spencer Mitchell, aged 35, landed in Maryland in 1812
Mitchell Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Edmund Mitchell, who landed in Mississippi in 1906
- Gus Mitchell, who arrived in Arkansas in 1906
- Guss Mitchell, who landed in Arkansas in 1906
- Myer Mitchell, who arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1906
- Andrew Mitchell, who landed in Alabama in 1923
- Joan Mitchell (1925-1992), acclaimed American abstract expressionist painter
- Arthur Mitchell (b. 1934), world-renowned dancer, artistic director, educator, and choreographer who founded the Dance Theatre of Harlem
- Maria Mitchell (1818-1889), American astronomer who was the first to discover a comet with the use of a telescope and was the first woman admitted to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, as well as the American Philosophical Society
- Edgar Dean Mitchell (b. 1930), American pilot, engineer, astronaut, sixth person to walk on the Moon and recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom
- Dennis Mitchell (b. 1966), former American athlete, winner of the gold medal in 4 x 100 m relay race at the 1992 Summer Olympics
- Silas Weir Mitchell (1829-1914), American physician
- Brigadier General William Lendrum "Billy" Mitchell (1879-1936), American aviation pioneer regarded as the father of the U.S. Air Force. He was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross and the Distinguished Service Medal
- Margaret Munnerlyn MItchell (1900-1949), American author who won the Pulitzer Prize in 1937 for her novel Gone with the Wind
- Clarence M. Mitchell Jr. (1911-1984), Civil rights activist, chief lobbyist for the NAACP for nearly 30 years and recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom
- George John Mitchell Jr. (b. 1933), recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom
- Descendants of John Mitchell of Drumore Township, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania by Warren A. Brannon.
- The Mitchell Family of Tipton County, Tennessee by Helen Mitchell Goggins.
- ^ MacLysaght, Edward, Irish Families Their Names, Arms and Origins 4th Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1982. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2364-7)
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- MacLysaght, Edward. The Surnames of Ireland 3rd Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1978. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2278-0).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Tepper, Michael Ed & Elizabeth P. Bentley Transcriber. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of Philadelphia 1800-1819. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1986. Print.
- Land Owners in Ireland. Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1203-3).
- MacLysaght, Edward. Irish Families Their Names, Arms and Origins 4th Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2364-7).
- MacLysaght, Edward. Mores Irish Familes. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1982. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-0126-0).
- Bell, Robert. The Book of Ulster Surnames. Belfast: Blackstaff, 1988. Print. (ISBN 10-0856404160).
- Donovan, George Francis. The Pre-Revolutionary Irish in Massachusetts 1620-1775. Menasha, WI: Geroge Banta Publsihing Co., 1932. Print.
The Mitchell Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Mitchell Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 19 February 2014 at 09:41.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!