100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, French, Irish-Alt
Where did the Irish Bryant family come from? What is the Irish Bryant family crest and coat of arms? When did the Bryant family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Bryant family history?The name Bryant is of Norman origin, derived from the personal name Brian which was popular in France and Norman England before it came to Ireland. It has sometimes been used as a synonym for O'Brien, though it is of different origin.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Bryan, Brian, OBryan, McBryan, O'Bryant and others.
First found in County Kilkenny (Irish: Cill Chainnigh), the former Kingdom of Osraige (Ossory), located in Southeastern Ireland in the province of Leinster, where bearers of the surname settled in the 13th century.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bryant research. Another 238 words(17 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Bryant History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 30 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Bryant Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Bryant Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Stephen Bryant, who arrived in Plymouth, Massachusetts in 1632
- John Bryant, who arrived in Maryland in 1633
- Michaell Bryant, who arrived in Virginia in 1636
- Jon Bryant, who arrived in Virginia in 1652
- Edmund Bryant, who landed in Virginia in 1655
Bryant Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Ellianor Bryant, who landed in Virginia in 1700
- Cornelius Bryant, who arrived in Virginia in 1705
- James Bryant, who arrived in Virginia in 1715
- Benjamin Bryant, who landed in New England in 1716
- Uriah Bryant, who landed in Virginia in 1722
Bryant Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Martin Bryant, who landed in America in 1811
- George Bryant, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1828
- James C Bryant, aged 17, landed in New York in 1830
- Charles Bryant, who landed in New York in 1836
- Charles William Bryant, who landed in Mississippi in 1846
- Paul Williams "Bear" Bryant (1913-1983), American college football coach, best known as the longtime head coach of the University of Alabama football team, and is the namesake of the Paul W. Bryant Museum and Bryant-Denny Stadium
- Boudleaux Bryant (1920-1978), American songwriter and fiddle player
- Charles Bryant (1878-1948), English-born, American actor
- Kobe Bryant (b. 1978), American professional basketball player
- Elbridge "Al" Bryant (1939-1975), American singer, one of the founding members of The Temptations
- Anthony J. Bryant (b. 1961), American historian of Japan
- Antonio Bryant (b. 1981), American football player
- Bart Bryant (b. 1962), American golfer
- Bear Bryant (1913-1983), American college football coach
- Bobby Bryant (b. 1944), American football player
- Cradled in the Mountains: A Brief History: Bryant, Sheppard, and Related Families by Barbara Bryant White.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
The Bryant Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Bryant Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 1 February 2014 at 20:54.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!