Origins Available: German
The surname Zelinka comes from the Polish word "Slazak," which denotes an inhabitant of Silesia.
Early Origins of the Zelinka family
The surname Zelinka was first found in Novwina in Cracow, a province of Poland which lies centrally, bounded by Kielce, Lublin, Silesia
and Lwow. The capitol city is Cracow, said to be the intellectual center of Poland. The region is composed of Poles and Gorale (Highlanders) who speak their own dialect and wear picturesque costumes. The chief towns of the province are Cracow, Tarnow, and Nowy Sacz. The surname became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. In their later history the name became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
Early History of the Zelinka family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Zelinka research.Another 341 words (24 lines of text) covering the years 1490, 1633, 1782, and 1783 are included under the topic Early Zelinka History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Zelinka Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Slazinik, Slaski, Slezanski, Slaznick, Szlaszak, Szlazak, Szlezak, Slazak, Slezak, Szelesnick and many more.
Early Notables of the Zelinka family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Zelinka Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Zelinka family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Zelinka Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Barbara Zelinka, who settled in New Orleans in 1852
- Anters Zelinka, aged 30, who landed in America from Kuttenberg, in 1892
- Anton Zelinka, who settled in Texas in 1894
- Hedwig Zelinka, aged 11, who landed in America, in 1897
Zelinka Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Harry M. Zelinka, aged 26, who emigrated to America, in 1904
- Friedrich Zelinka, aged 28, who landed in America from Grop. Badag., Hungary, in 1907
- Anna Zelinka, aged 15, who emigrated to the United States from Rudka, Austria, in 1907
- Feczo Zelinka, aged 24, who emigrated to the United States from Tzbina, Hungary, in 1909
- Antonin Zelinka, aged 46, who landed in America from Osvetimany, Moravia, in 1909
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Zelinka (post 1700)
- Andreas Zelinka (1802-1868), served as the mayor of Vienna, Austria from 1861 to 1868
- Jessica Zelinka (b. 1981), Canadian pentathlete and heptathlete