Van Den bergh History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The surname Van Den bergh comes from the Old High German word "berg," which means "mountain." The first bearers of the name no doubt came from a mountain or high ground. The name is often found with the preposition "Van den," which mean "from the." In a low-lying, flat country like the Netherlands any area of higher ground was quite prestigious and as such, this was a popular and prestigious surname.
Early Origins of the Van Den bergh family
The surname Van Den bergh was first found in Holland, where it is thought to have existed since the 15th century.
Important Dates for the Van Den bergh family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Van Den bergh research. Another 27 words (2 lines of text) covering the years 1587, 1660, 1618, 1687, 1664, 1755, 1709, 1748, 1799 and 1873 are included under the topic Early Van Den bergh History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Van Den bergh Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Van den Bergh, Van der Bergh, Van den Burgh and many more.
Early Notables of the Van Den bergh family (pre 1700)
From this era of Dutch history, those of this who distinguished themselves included the counts Van den Berghs, beginning in the 16th century; Jan van den Bergh (1587-1660), a Dutch Golden Age painter; Matthias Jansz. van den Bergh (1618-1687), a Dutch...
Another 41 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Van Den bergh Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Van Den bergh migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Van Den bergh Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Gysbert Cornelisen VanDenBergh, who landed in New York in 1645 
- Arent VanDenBergh, who arrived in New York in 1654 
- Hendrick VanDenBergh, who arrived in New York in 1663 
Van Den bergh Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Louis VandenBergh, aged 36, who landed in Michigan in 1846-1856 
Contemporary Notables of the name Van Den bergh (post 1700)
- John Vandenbergh, American Emeritus Professor of Zoology at North Carolina State University
- Lydia Kathleen Vandenbergh (b. 1984), American soccer defender
- Walter L. VanDenbergh, American politician, Delegate to New York State Constitutional Convention 20th District, 1894 
- George van den Bergh (1890-1966), Dutch politician
- Pieter van den Bergh (1799-1873), Dutch playwright in The Hague
- Sarah Vandenbergh (b. 1972), Australian actress
- Stijn Vandenbergh (b. 1984), Belgian professional road racing cyclist
- Kevin Vandenbergh (b. 1983), Belgian footballer
- Erwin Vandenbergh (b. 1959), Belgian footballer
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, February 2) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html