The ancestors of the name Wudstocke date back to the days of the Anglo-Saxon
tribes of Britain. The name is derived from their residence in Woodstock,
a town in the north-west part of Oxfordshire.
Early Origins of the Wudstocke family
The surname Wudstocke was first found in Oxfordshire
where they held a family seat
anciently, after the Norman Conquest
Early History of the Wudstocke family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Wudstocke research.Another 127 words (9 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Wudstocke History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Wudstocke Spelling Variations
Wudstocke has been spelled many different ways. Before English spelling became standardized over the last few hundred
years, spelling variations
in names were a common occurrence. As the English language changed in the Middle Ages, absorbing pieces of Latin and French, as well as other languages, the spelling of people's names also changed considerably, even over a single lifetime. Many variations of the name Wudstocke have been found, including Woodstock, Woodstocke and others.
Early Notables of the Wudstocke family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Wudstocke Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Wudstocke family to the New World and Oceana
In an attempt to escape the chaos experienced in England
, many English families boarded overcrowded and diseased ships sailing for the shores of North America and other British colonies. Those families hardy enough, and lucky enough, to make the passage intact were rewarded with land and a social environment less prone to religious and political persecution. Many of these families became important contributors to the young colonies in which they settled. Early immigration and passenger lists have documented some of the first Wudstockes to arrive on North American shores: Robert Woodstock arrived in St. Christopher in 1635; John Woodstock arrived in Maryland in 1775.