as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1273 when Robert de Whyterigg held lands.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Wittrock research.Another 70 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Wittrock History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
of this family name include: Whitteridge, Whitrigg, Whittridge, Wyterik, Whiterigg, Witterigg, Whyterigg, Whyteryk, Witerigg, Whitrigg, Whitridge, Witridge, Whiteridge, Whitredge, Whittred, Whitherick, Wittrick, Wittridge, Witrick, Whiteright, Whitewright, Witterick, Widrich, Whitrick, Wythrich, Witherick and many more.
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Esto Fidelis
Motto Translation: Be Faithful.