Wissler History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Wissler family
The surname Wissler was first found in Somerset where Osbert le Wistler was listed in the Assize Rolls of 1243. 
"This surname is derived from a nickname. 'the whistler,' one who was constantly whistling. The sobriquet would readily fasten itself upon the bearer, and as it denoted a cheery spirit would not be unacceptable to the nominee."  
Alternatively, some sources note that the name could have been an occupational name for someone who "blew a pipe."  
Continuing our quest through early English rolls, we note that Thomas le Whistlar was listed in Somerset, 9 Edward II (during the ninth year of King Edward II's reign)  and the Yorkshire Poll Tax Rolls of 1379 includes Johannes Whisteler as holding lands there at that time. 
Early History of the Wissler family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Wissler research. Another 210 words (15 lines of text) covering the years 1327, 1607, 1608, 1626, 1678, 1800, 1619, 1684, 1648, 1683, 1648, 1652, 1653, 1654, 1659, 1674, 1682, 1682 and 1683 are included under the topic Early Wissler History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Wissler Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Whistler, Whissler, Whistle, Whissle, Wissell, Wisseller, Wisseler, Whistle, Wisle, Wissel, Wisel, Wissell, Whisseller, Whissel, Wistlecraft and many more.
Early Notables of the Wissler family (pre 1700)
Distinguished members of the family include Daniel Whistler (1619-1684), an English physician of Elvington, Oxfordshire, Gresham Professor of Geometry (1648), President of the College of Physicians (1683.) He was the son of William Whistler of Elvington, Oxfordshire, and was born at Walthamstow in Essex.
"On 13 June 1648 he was elected professor of geometry at Gresham College, and was at the same time Linacre reader at Oxford. He took care of wounded seamen in the Dutch war of 1652, and in October 1653 was desired to accompany...
Another 87 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Wissler Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Wissler migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Wissler Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Ulrich Wissler, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1733 
- Geo Wissler, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1742 
- Johann Wolf Wissler, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1752 
- Nickolaus Wissler, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1752 
- Jacob Wissler, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1765 
Wissler Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Andrew Wissler, who arrived in Savanna(h), Georgia in 1842 
Contemporary Notables of the name Wissler (post 1700) +
- John E. Wissler, United States Marine Corps Lieutenant General, former commander of United States Marine Corps Forces Command
- Susan Ellen Wissler (1853-1939), born Susan Ellen Frisby, American politician, the first female mayor in Wyoming and one of the first in the United States
- Clark David Wissler (1870-1947), American anthropologist from Cambridge City near Hagerstown, Indiana
- Phyllis A. Wissler, American politician, Candidate for New York State Assembly 3rd District, 1966 
- Janine Wissler (b. 1981), German politician in the parliament for the State of Hesse (Hessischer Landtag) in Germany
- Janina Wissler (b. 1983), German model, actress and TV-host
Related Stories +
- ^ Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ Lower, Mark Anthony, Patronymica Britannica, A Dictionary of Family Names of the United Kingdom. London: John Russel Smith, 1860. Print.
- ^ Smith, Eldson Coles, New Dictionary of American Family Names New York: Harper & Row, 1956. Print
- ^ Harrison, Henry, Surnames of the United Kingdom: A Concise Etymological Dictionary Baltimore: Geneological Publishing Company, 2013. Print
- ^ Dickinson, F.H., Kirby's Quest for Somerset of 16th of Edward the 3rd London: Harrison and Sons, Printers in Ordinary to Her Majesty, St, Martin's Lane, 1889. Print.
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 17) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html