Wissler History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Wissler family
The surname Wissler was first found in Somerset where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1243 when Osbert le Whistler held estates.
Early History of the Wissler family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Wissler research. Another 205 words (15 lines of text) covering the years 1327, 1455, 1487, 1619, 1684, 1648 and 1683 are included under the topic Early Wissler History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Wissler Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Whistler, Whissler, Whistle, Whissle, Wissell, Wisseller, Wisseler, Whistle, Wisle, Wissel, Wisel, Wissell, Whisseller, Whissel, Wistlecraft and many more.
Early Notables of the Wissler family (pre 1700)
Another 44 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Wissler Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Wissler migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Wissler Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Ulrich Wissler, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1733 
- Geo Wissler, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1742 
- Johann Wolf Wissler, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1752 
- Nickolaus Wissler, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1752 
- Jacob Wissler, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1765 
Wissler Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Andrew Wissler, who arrived in Savanna(h), Georgia in 1842 
Contemporary Notables of the name Wissler (post 1700) +
- John E. Wissler, United States Marine Corps Lieutenant General, former commander of United States Marine Corps Forces Command
- Susan Ellen Wissler (1853-1939), born Susan Ellen Frisby, American politician, the first female mayor in Wyoming and one of the first in the United States
- Clark David Wissler (1870-1947), American anthropologist from Cambridge City near Hagerstown, Indiana
- Phyllis A. Wissler, American politician, Candidate for New York State Assembly 3rd District, 1966 
- Janine Wissler (b. 1981), German politician in the parliament for the State of Hesse (Hessischer Landtag) in Germany
- Janina Wissler (b. 1983), German model, actress and TV-host
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 17) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html