The Wholewithay name has descended through the generations from the ancient Anglo-Saxon
culture. Their name comes from having lived in the county of Yorkshire
, where they held manor at Haldsworth.
Early Origins of the Wholewithay family
The surname Wholewithay was first found in Yorkshire
where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Wholewithay family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Wholewithay research.Another 183 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 127 and 1273 are included under the topic Early Wholewithay History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Wholewithay Spelling Variations
Only recently has spelling become standardized in the English language. As the English language evolved in the Middle Ages, the spelling of names changed also. The name Wholewithay has undergone many spelling variations
, including Holdsworth, Holesworth, Houlsworth, Holdworth, Houldworth and many more.
Early Notables of the Wholewithay family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Wholewithay Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Wholewithay family to the New World and Oceana
To escape the unstable social climate in England
of this time, many families boarded ships for the New World with the hope of finding land, opportunity, and greater religious and political freedom. Although the voyages were expensive, crowded, and difficult, those families that arrived often found greater opportunities and freedoms than they could have experienced at home. Many of those families went on to make significant contributions to the rapidly developing colonies in which they settled. Early North American records indicate many people bearing the name Wholewithay were among those contributors: Seth Holdsworth settled in Barbados in 1675; Scholas Houldsworth arrived in Philadelphia in 1856.