The earliest origins of the name Welcokes date back to the time of the Anglo-Saxons
. The name is derived from William
Tracing the origin of the name further, we found the name Welcokes was originally derived from the Germanic elements will,
meaning resolve, helm,
an affectionate or diminutive suffix commonly used in ancient times. With the additional suffix, cox,
the name was taken to mean the son of little William. CITATION[CLOSE]
Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges, A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8)
Early Origins of the Welcokes family
The surname Welcokes was first found in Lancashire
where one of the first records of the name was listed simply as Wilcok with no personal name
in the Assize Rolls of that shire in 1246. Wilcoc was listed in the Assize Rolls of Cheshire
in 1286 and William Wylecok was listed in Somerset
in the Assize Rolls of 1254. Quite of few of the family were found in Yorkshire
as shown by John Wilcokes who was listed there in 1316. CITATION[CLOSE]
Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
By the time of the Yorkshire Poll Tax
Rolls of 1379, there were numerous entries for the name including those with the "son" extension: Richard Wilokson; Adam Wylkokson; Raddulfus Wycok; and Willelmus Wilkocson. CITATION[CLOSE]
Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
Early History of the Welcokes family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Welcokes research.Another 195 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1600, 1480, 1541, 1558, 1588, 1929, 1515, 1585 and 1562 are included under the topic Early Welcokes History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Welcokes Spelling Variations
Until quite recently, the English language has lacked a definite system of spelling rules. Consequently, Anglo-Saxon
surnames are characterized by a multitude of spelling variations
. Changes in Anglo-Saxon
names were influenced by the evolution of the English language, as it incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other languages. Although Medieval scribes and church officials recorded names as they sounded, so it is common to find one person referred to by several different spellings of his surname, even the most literate people varied the spelling of their own names. Variations of the name Welcokes include Wilcox, Wilcocks, Willock, Wallock and others.
Early Notables of the Welcokes family (pre 1700)
Distinguished members of the family include Nicolaus Wollick (c.
1480-1541), English music theorist; Robert Willcox (1558-1588), an English Catholic martyr (one of the Oaten Hill Martyrs) who was hung, drawn and quartered; he was beatified by Pope Pius XI... Another 38 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Welcokes Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Welcokes family to Ireland
Some of the Welcokes family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.Another 67 words (5 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Welcokes family to the New World and Oceana
Searching for a better life, many English families migrated to British colonies. Unfortunately, the majority of them traveled under extremely harsh conditions: overcrowding on the ships caused the majority of the immigrants to arrive diseased, famished, and destitute from the long journey across the ocean. For those families that arrived safely, modest prosperity was attainable, and many went on to make invaluable contributions to the development of the cultures of the new colonies. Research into the origins of individual families in North America revealed records of the immigration of a number of people bearing the name Welcokes or a variant listed above: John Willcocks was a shoreman of St. John's, Newfoundland, who had settled there in 1754; John Wilcock settled in Brigus, Newfoundland, in 1801; John Wilcocks was Master of the ".