The history of the Weckerle family name begins in the German province of Bavaria
. Weckerle is a nickname
surname, a class of German names derived from eke-names, or added names, that described people by a personal characteristic or other attribute. Weckerle is a name for a person who was watchful.
Early Origins of the Weckerle family
The surname Weckerle was first found in Bavaria
and Wuerttemberg, where the name was anciently associated with the tribal conflicts of the area. They declared allegiances to many nobles and princes of early history, lending their influence in struggles for power and status within the region. They branched into many houses, and their contributions were sought by many leaders in their search for power.
Early History of the Weckerle family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Weckerle research.Another 167 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1632, 1695 and 1792 are included under the topic Early Weckerle History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Weckerle Spelling Variations
One can encounter great variation in the spelling of surnames: in early times, spelling in general, and thus the spelling of names was not yet standardized; and later, spellings would change with branching and movement of families. Variations of the name Weckerle include Wacker, Wackerl (Bavaria), Wackert, Waeckerle and many more.
Early Notables of the Weckerle family (pre 1700)
Another 44 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Weckerle Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Weckerle family to the New World and Oceana
Between the mid-17th and mid-20th centuries, German settlers arrived in North America by the thousands. Persecution based on religion and poverty were great motivators in this large-scale migration. So too was the opportunity for tenant
farmers to own their own land. Ample land and opportunity awaited the settlers who went to such states as Pennsylvania, Texas, New York, Illinois, and California, as well as Ontario and the prairie provinces of Canada. Research into the origins of individual families in North America revealed records of the immigration of a number of people bearing the name Weckerle or a variant listed above:
Weckerle Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Jn. Baptiste Weckerle, aged 29, who settled in America, in 1892
- Ludwig Weckerle, aged 24, who landed in America, in 1893
- Julie Weckerle, aged 30, who emigrated to the United States, in 1894
- Simon Weckerle, aged 42, who landed in America, in 1895
- Robert Weckerle, aged 9, who emigrated to America, in 1896
Weckerle Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Therese Weckerle, aged 19, who landed in America from Tobroute, in 1901
- Theophile Weckerle, aged 30, who emigrated to the United States from Gebweiler, in 1906
- Charles Weckerle, aged 23, who landed in America from Gebweiler, Germany, in 1909
- Jakob Weckerle, aged 22, who emigrated to the United States from Hamburg, Germany, in 1914