where they were mentioned as men of great influence in the Church and public affairs. Traditionally, the Wakeman, in the ancient Saxon village before the
in 1066, was a man who sounded the horn during the evening to mark the time when criminal offences took on a greater penalty. The Wakeman of Ripon,
has blown his horn faithfully every day at 9:00pm at the four corners of the obelisk in Ripon Market since 886. This "Setting the Watch" tradition is further shown by having the horn on the Arms of Ripon and again appearing on the Harrogate borough coat of arms.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Wakmynd research.Another 71 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1549 and 1688 are included under the topic Early Wakmynd History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Until the dictionary, an invention of only the last few hundred
years, the English language lacked any comprehensive system of spelling rules. Consequently, spelling variations
in names are frequently found in early Anglo-Saxon
and later Anglo-Norman documents. One person's name was often spelled several different ways over a lifetime. The recorded variations of Wakmynd include Wakeman, Wakman, Wakeham, Waikham and others.
Thousands of English families boarded ships sailing to the New World in the hope of escaping the unrest found in England
at this time. Although the search for opportunity and freedom from persecution abroad took the lives of many because of the cramped conditions and unsanitary nature of the vessels, the opportunity perceived in the growing colonies of North America beckoned. Many of the settlers who survived the journey went on to make important contributions to the transplanted cultures of their adopted countries. The Wakmynd were among these contributors, for they have been located in early North American records: John Wakeham settled in Salvage, Newfoundland in 1681; three brothers Wakeham, Jim, John and Ben settled in St John's, Newfoundland; Samuel and Elizabeth Wakeman settled in Nantasket, Massachusetts in 1631.