The distinguished surname Venditti originated in an area of Italy, known as the Papal States. Although people were originally known only by a single name, it became necessary for people to adapt a second name to identify themselves as populations grew and travel became more frequent. The process of adopting fixed hereditary surnames
was not complete until the modern era, but the use of hereditary family names in Italy began in the 10th and 11th centuries. Italian hereditary surnames were developed according to fairly general principles and they are characterized by a profusion of derivatives coined from given names. The most traditional type of family name found in the region of the Papal States is the patronymic
surname, which is derived from the father's given name. During the Middle Ages, Italians adopted the patronymic system of name-making because it perfectly complemented the prevailing Feudal
System. In Italy the popularity of patronymic type of surname is also due to the fact that during the Christian era, people often named their children after saints and biblical figures. The surname Venditti came from the first name "Benito," which is the Italian form of Benedict, which means blessed.
Early Origins of the Venditti family
The surname Venditti was first found in Ferrara, a city and comune in Emilia-Romagna
, northern Italy, capital city of the Province of Ferrara. History dates the city back to 753. It was at war with Venice
in 1471. It is a walled city and notable is the Church of S. Cristoforo. Knitted goods and shawls are made. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time was in itself a family honor.
Early History of the Venditti family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Venditti research.Another 197 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1258, 1405, 1414, 1819, 1530 and 1590 are included under the topic Early Venditti History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Venditti Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Benzi, Benzo, Benza, Bensi, Penzo, Penza, Pensi, Penso, Benzizni, Benzani, Benzan and many more.
Early Notables of the Venditti family (pre 1700)
Another 22 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Venditti Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Venditti family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Venditti Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Amatonicola Venditti, aged 25, who settled in America from Capracotta, Italy, in 1902
- Angelo Venditti, aged 21, who landed in America from Cesceniaggiore, in 1902
- Americo Venditti, aged 0, who landed in America from Roma, in 1903
- Anacleta Venditti, aged 9, who emigrated to the United States from Roma, in 1903
- Nicolo Venditti, who settled in Ashtabula Co. OH sometime between 1875 and 1906
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Venditti (post 1700)
- Robert Venditti, American comic book writer, known for his work on the Top Shelf Productions
- Giovanbattista Venditti (b. 1990), Italian rugby union player, member of the Italy National Team ( 2012-)
- Antonello Venditti (b. 1949), Italian singer-songwriter