Van Gilder History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Van Gilder family
The surname Van Gilder was first found in Holland, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in North Holland, a province of the Netherlands in Haarlem. The principal cities are Amsterdam, Haarlem and Hilversum. It was the seat of the old Counts of Holland. Seat of one of the oldest families is Brederode Castle near Haarlem. There are many old and quaint towns in the province. including Medemblik, Enkhuizen, Hoorn, Edam, and Monnikendam. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
Early History of the Van Gilder family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Van Gilder research. Another 84 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1670 and 1673 are included under the topic Early Van Gilder History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Van Gilder Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gelder, van Gelder, Vangelder, Op-Gelder and many more.
Early Notables of the Van Gilder family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Van Gilder Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Van Gilder Ranking
In the United States, the name Van Gilder is the 16,692nd most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Van Gilder migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Van Gilder Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Bern VanGilder, who arrived in Mississippi in 1860 
Contemporary Notables of the name Van Gilder (post 1700) +
- E.L. Van Gilder, American businessman from Kellogg, Idaho who built The Van Gilder Hotel at 307 Adams Street in Seward, Alaska, United States in 1916; now listed with National Register of Historic Places listings in Kenai Peninsula Borough, Alaska
- Laura Van Gilder (b. 1964), American professional road bicycle racer from Cresco, Pennsylvania
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)