Origins Available: Dutch-Alt
Early Origins of the Van Dijk family
The surname Van Dijk was first found in early documents. It is derived from the word "dyk" which means "dyke." The word "van" which often appears in Dutch names (including most of the variations of this name) is roughly equivalent to "by" or "at," indicating that the name refers to some feature of the terrain near the first bearer's home. Therefore, the first person to bear this name lived near a dyke.
Early History of the Van Dijk family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Van Dijk research. More information is included under the topic Early Van Dijk History in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Van Dijk Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Van Dyk, Van Dijk, Van Dijck, Van Dyck, Van Dijken, Van Dyken, Dijkman, Dykman, Op en Dyke, Updike and many more.
Early Notables of the Van Dijk family (pre 1700)
From this era of Dutch history, those of this who distinguished themselves included Floris van Dyck (c.1575-c.1651), a Dutch Golden Age still life painter; Sir Anthony van Dyck (1599-1641), Flemish
Baroque artist who... Another 32 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Van Dijk Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Van Dijk family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Achias Janse Vandyck, who arrived in New York in 1651, Gregorius, who arrived in Delaware in 1643, Karl Janse Vandijck, who settled in New York in 1687 and countless others. The 1984 edition of the Report of Distribution of Surnames in the Social Security Number File lists the surname Van Dyk(e) as the 1,842nd most popular surname in the United States.Today, the name $ is fairly common in The Netherlands
, but branches exist in many European countries, especially Germany..
Contemporary Notables of the name Van Dijk (post 1700)
- Willem Edsger "Bill" van Dijk (b. 1947), Dutch singer and musical performer
- Cornelis "Nelis" van Dijk (1904-1969), Dutch boxer at the 1920 Summer Olympics
- Virgil van Dijk (b. 1991), Dutch football defender
- Robert "Rob" van Dijk (b. 1969), Dutch retired football goalkeeper
- Gregoor van Dijk (b. 1981), Dutch footballer
- Serginho "Sergio" van Dijk (b. 1982), Dutch-born, Indonesian footballer
- Eleonora "Ellen" van Dijk (b. 1987), Dutch gold medalist professional road and track racing cyclist from Harmelen