Van Der horst History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Van Der horst family
The surname Van Der horst was first found in Holland, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in Amsterdam, an ancient 13th century town held by the Lords of Amstel. Giesebrecht II built a castle there. Geisbrecht III built the dam to keep out the sea. It is first mentioned in charters of 1275 when Floris IV, the count of Holland granted its charter. It became a city of great mercantile wealth. It hold great treasures of art. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into a most influential family.
Early History of the Van Der horst family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Van Der horst research. Another 119 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1664, 1741 and 1844 are included under the topic Early Van Der horst History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Van Der horst Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Horst, Horste, Horstt, Horsst, Horrst, Hoorst, Hoorste, Horstes, Horsts, van Horst and many more.
Early Notables of the Van Der horst family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Van Der horst Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Van Der horst Ranking
In Netherlands, the name Van Der horst is the 93rd most popular surname with an estimated 10,642 people with that name. 
Van Der horst migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Van Der horst Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Vanderhorst, who settled in South Carolina sometime between 1670 and 1694
Van Der horst Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Thomas Cooper Vanderhorst, who arrived in Charles Town [Charleston], South Carolina in 1810
- Hendrik VanderHorst, who arrived in New York, NY in 1854
- Abraham Vanderhorst, who settled in 1854
- Hendrik VanderHorst, aged 16, who landed in New York, NY in 1854 
- Sara VanderHorst, aged 42, who arrived in New York, NY in 1854 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Van Der horst (post 1700) +
- Arnoldus Vander Horst (1748-1815), American politician, Governor of South Carolina
- Elias Vanderhorst, American politician, U.S. Consul in Bristol, 1792-1815 
Related Stories +
- ^ https://forebears.io/netherlands/surnames
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, February 2) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html