on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Scottish Twyman family come from? What is the Scottish Twyman family crest and coat of arms? When did the Twyman family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Twyman family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Twynholm, Twynholme, Twinam, Twinham, Twinholm, Twinholme, Twynham, Twynam, Twynhome, Twinhome, Twynhom, Twyinholm, Twyinholme, Twyinham, Twynnam, Twinnham, Twinnholm, Twinnham, Twinnhome, Twinnin, Twinnan and many more.
First found in Kirkcudbrightshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Chille Chuithbheirt), part of the present day Council Area of Dumfries and Galloway, former county in Southwestern Scotland, where they held a family seat from very ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Twyman research. Another 149 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1270, 1296, 1329, 1748, and 1800 are included under the topic Early Twyman History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Twyman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Twyman Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Arthur Twyman, aged 28, who emigrated to the United States, in 1895
Twyman Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Frank Twyman, aged 36, who landed in America from London, England, in 1913
- Harriet Twyman, aged 43, who settled in America from Whitstable, England, in 1916
- Joseph Twyman, aged 23, who landed in America, in 1919
- Leonard Twyman, aged 26, who emigrated to the United States, in 1924
- Robert Twyman, aged 27, who settled in America, in 1924
- Luska J. Twyman (1913-1988), American politician, Kentucky's first African American mayor in 1968
- Robert Joseph Twyman (1897-1976), American politician, U.S. Representative from Illinois
- John Kennedy "Jack" Twyman (1934-2012), American professional basketball player, inductee into the Hall of Fame
- William M. S. Twyman, American politician, U.S. Consular Agent in Jaffna, 1897
- Robert Joseph Twyman (1897-1976), American Republican politician, U.S. Representative from Illinois 9th District, 1947-49
- R. B. J. Twyman, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Kentucky, 1856; U.S. Consul in Veracruz, 1858-60
- Emma L. Twyman, American Republican politician, Presidential Elector for New Jersey, 1972
- Benjamin R. Twyman, American politician, Member of West Virginia State House of Delegates from Ritchie County, 1917-20
- Allen P. Twyman, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Indiana, 1924
- Michael Twyman (b. 1934), English Professor Emeritus of the Department of Typography & Graphic Communication at the University of Reading
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Prebble, John. The Highland Clearances. London: Secker & Warburg, 1963. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Socts Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Modern Application of the Art of Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry Including American Families with British Ancestry 2 Volumes. London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Scarlett, James D. Tartan The Highland Textile. London: Shepheard-Walwyn, 1990. Print. (ISBN 0-85683-120-4).
- Black, George F. The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3).
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and David Hicks. The Highland Clans The Dynastic Origins, Cheifs and Background of the Clans. New York: C.N. Potter, 1968. Print.
The Twyman Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Twyman Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 23 October 2015 at 10:37.
on orders of $85 or more