Early Origins of the Tuicross family
The surname Tuicross was first found in Leicestershire
where they held a family seat
as Lords of the Manor. After the Battle of Hastings in 1066, William, Duke of Normandy
, having prevailed over King Harold, granted most of Britain to his many victorious Barons. It was not uncommon to find a Baron
, or a Bishop, with 60 or more Lordships scattered throughout the country. These he gave to his sons, nephews and other junior lines of his family and they became known as under-tenants. They adopted the Norman system of surnames which identified the under-tenant with his holdings so as to distinguish him from the senior stem of the family. After many rebellious wars between his Barons, Duke William, commissioned a census of all England
to determine in 1086, settling once and for all, who held which land. He called the census the Domesday Book
Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
indicating that those holders registered would hold the land until the end of time. Hence, conjecturally, the surname is descended from the tenant
of the village and lands of Twycross, held by Nigel from Henry de Ferrers, a Norman noble, who was recorded in the Domesday Book
census of 1086.
Early History of the Tuicross family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Tuicross research.Another 149 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1467 and 1689 are included under the topic Early Tuicross History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Tuicross Spelling Variations
Early Notables of the Tuicross family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Tuicross Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Tuicross family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: the name represented in many forms and recorded from the mid 17th century in the great migration from Europe. Migrants settled in the eastern seaboard from Newfoundland, to Maine, to Virginia, the Carolinas, and to the islands..
The Tuicross Motto
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Droit et avant
Motto Translation: Just and forward.