on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Tilton family come from? What is the English Tilton family crest and coat of arms? When did the Tilton family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Tilton family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Tilton, Tiletone and others.
First found in Leicestershire where it first appeared around the middle of the 12th century. The suffix "-ton," meaning town, indicates that the name Tilton is local in its origin, meaning "Farmstead or village of a man called Tila." Tila is a personal name from Old English.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Tilton research. Another 213 words(15 lines of text) covering the years 1218 and 1327 are included under the topic Early Tilton History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Tilton Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Tilton Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Tilton settled in Lynn Massachusetts in 1630
- John Tilton, who arrived in Lynn, Massachusetts in 1630
- Peter Tilton arrived in New England in 1640
- William Tilton landed in Lynn, Massachusetts in 1640
- Peter Tilton, who landed in New England in 1640
Tilton Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Elizabeth Tilton arrived in Pennsylvania in 1709
- Elizabeth Tilton, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1709
Tilton Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- S S Tilton, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Barclay Tilton, aged 25, who emigrated to the United States from England, in 1892
- Edward J. Tilton, aged 33, who emigrated to the United States, in 1893
- E. B. Tilton, aged 26, who settled in America from London, in 1894
- Chas. Leonard Tilton, aged 29, who settled in America, in 1896
Tilton Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- C. S. Tilton, who emigrated to America, in 1903
- A.S. Tilton, who landed in America, in 1903
- Alice B. Tilton, who emigrated to the United States from Longton, England, in 1906
- Clint C. Tilton, who landed in America, in 1910
- Edgar Tilton, aged 45, who emigrated to the United States, in 1910
- Charlene L Tilton (b. 1958), American actress
- Robert Tilton (b. 1946), American televangelist
- William Stowell Tilton (1828-1889), American businessman and soldier who led a regiment in the Battle of Gettysburg
- Edward Lippincott Tilton (1861-1933), American architect from New York
- Theodore Tilton (1835-1907), American newspaper editor, poet and abolitionist
- James Tilton (1745-1822), American physician and soldier, delegate for Delaware in the Continental Congress of 1783 and 1784, Surgeon General of the United States Army during the War of 1812
- Chris Tilton (b. 1979), American soundtrack composer
- Martha Tilton (1915-2006), American singer, best-known for her 1939 recording of "And the Angels Sing" with Benny Goodman
- Colonel Henry Remsen Tilton (1836-1906), American Army surgeon, recipient of the Medal of Honor
- Edwin B. Tilton (1859-1926), American silent film actor
- Tilton Territory: A Historical Narrative, Warren Township, Jefferson County, Ohio, 1775-1838 by Robert H. Richardson.
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
The Tilton Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Tilton Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 15 October 2013 at 13:09.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
on orders of $85 or more