on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the English Tilton family come from? What is the English Tilton family crest and coat of arms? When did the Tilton family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Tilton family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Tilton, Tiletone and others.
First found in Leicestershire where it first appeared around the middle of the 12th century. The suffix "-ton," meaning town, indicates that the name Tilton is local in its origin, meaning "Farmstead or village of a man called Tila." Tila is a personal name from Old English.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Tilton research. Another 213 words (15 lines of text) covering the years 1218 and 1327 are included under the topic Early Tilton History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Tilton Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Tilton Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Tilton settled in Lynn Massachusetts in 1630
- John Tilton, who arrived in Lynn, Massachusetts in 1630
- Peter Tilton arrived in New England in 1640
- William Tilton landed in Lynn, Massachusetts in 1640
- Peter Tilton, who landed in New England in 1640
Tilton Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Elizabeth Tilton arrived in Pennsylvania in 1709
- Elizabeth Tilton, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1709
Tilton Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- S S Tilton, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Barclay Tilton, aged 25, who emigrated to the United States from England, in 1892
- Edward J. Tilton, aged 33, who emigrated to the United States, in 1893
- E. B. Tilton, aged 26, who settled in America from London, in 1894
- Chas. Leonard Tilton, aged 29, who settled in America, in 1896
Tilton Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- C. S. Tilton, who emigrated to America, in 1903
- A.S. Tilton, who landed in America, in 1903
- Alice B. Tilton, who emigrated to the United States from Longton, England, in 1906
- Clint C. Tilton, who landed in America, in 1910
- Edgar Tilton, aged 45, who emigrated to the United States, in 1910
- Edwin B. Tilton (1859-1926), American silent film actor
- Colonel Henry Remsen Tilton (1836-1906), American Army surgeon, recipient of the Medal of Honor
- Martha Tilton (1915-2006), American singer, best-known for her 1939 recording of "And the Angels Sing" with Benny Goodman
- Chris Tilton (b. 1979), American soundtrack composer
- James Tilton (1745-1822), American physician and soldier, delegate for Delaware in the Continental Congress of 1783 and 1784, Surgeon General of the United States Army during the War of 1812
- Theodore Tilton (1835-1907), American newspaper editor, poet and abolitionist
- Edward Lippincott Tilton (1861-1933), American architect from New York
- William Stowell Tilton (1828-1889), American businessman and soldier who led a regiment in the Battle of Gettysburg
- Charles E. Tilton, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New Hampshire, 1916, 1920
- Clint C. Tilton, American politician, Delegate to Illinois convention to ratify 21st amendment, 1933
- Tilton Territory: A Historical Narrative, Warren Township, Jefferson County, Ohio, 1775-1838 by Robert H. Richardson.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
The Tilton Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Tilton Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 8 December 2015 at 23:09.
on orders of $85 or more