100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Tilton family come from? What is the English Tilton family crest and coat of arms? When did the Tilton family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Tilton family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Tilton, Tiletone and others.
First found in Leicestershire where it first appeared around the middle of the 12th century. The suffix "-ton," meaning town, indicates that the name Tilton is local in its origin, meaning "Farmstead or village of a man called Tila." Tila is a personal name from Old English.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Tilton research. Another 213 words(15 lines of text) covering the years 1218 and 1327 are included under the topic Early Tilton History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Tilton Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Tilton Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Tilton settled in Lynn Massachusetts in 1630
- John Tilton, who arrived in Lynn, Massachusetts in 1630
- Peter Tilton arrived in New England in 1640
- William Tilton landed in Lynn, Massachusetts in 1640
- Peter Tilton, who landed in New England in 1640
Tilton Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Elizabeth Tilton arrived in Pennsylvania in 1709
- Elizabeth Tilton, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1709
Tilton Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- S S Tilton, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Barclay Tilton, aged 25, who emigrated to the United States from England, in 1892
- Edward J. Tilton, aged 33, who emigrated to the United States, in 1893
- E. B. Tilton, aged 26, who settled in America from London, in 1894
- Chas. Leonard Tilton, aged 29, who settled in America, in 1896
Tilton Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- C. S. Tilton, who emigrated to America, in 1903
- A.S. Tilton, who landed in America, in 1903
- Alice B. Tilton, who emigrated to the United States from Longton, England, in 1906
- Clint C. Tilton, who landed in America, in 1910
- Edgar Tilton, aged 45, who emigrated to the United States, in 1910
- Edwin B. Tilton (1859-1926), American silent film actor
- Colonel Henry Remsen Tilton (1836-1906), American Army surgeon, recipient of the Medal of Honor
- Martha Tilton (1915-2006), American singer, best-known for her 1939 recording of "And the Angels Sing" with Benny Goodman
- Chris Tilton (b. 1979), American soundtrack composer
- James Tilton (1745-1822), American physician and soldier, delegate for Delaware in the Continental Congress of 1783 and 1784, Surgeon General of the United States Army during the War of 1812
- Theodore Tilton (1835-1907), American newspaper editor, poet and abolitionist
- Edward Lippincott Tilton (1861-1933), American architect from New York
- William Stowell Tilton (1828-1889), American businessman and soldier who led a regiment in the Battle of Gettysburg
- Robert Tilton (b. 1946), American televangelist
- Charlene L Tilton (b. 1958), American actress
- Tilton Territory: A Historical Narrative, Warren Township, Jefferson County, Ohio, 1775-1838 by Robert H. Richardson.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
The Tilton Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Tilton Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 22 April 2015 at 21:43.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!