Home

Digital Products

Prints

Apparel

Home & Barware

Gifts


Customer Service



Stubbink History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms



The name Stubbink reached English shores for the first time with the ancestors of the Stubbink family as they migrated following the Norman Conquest of 1066. The Stubbink family lived in Essex having derived from the Old English word stybbing, meaning stumps, and indicates that the original bearer lived in or near an area which had been cleared of trees.

Early Origins of the Stubbink family


The surname Stubbink was first found in Essex at Stebbing, a small village in the Uttlesford district that dates back to the Domesday Book where it was listed as Stibinga and either meant "settlement of the family or followers of a man called Stybba" or "dwellers among the tree-stumps." [1]CITATION[CLOSE]
Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
Although the Old English roots of this name suggest that they pre-date the Normans in Britain, they were also conjecturally descended from Thomas de Colunces who's son Hugh acquired the lands of Stebbing and Woodham Ferrars in Essex, containing two Mills, vines, and five beehives. Thomas was descended from the Colunces of Calvados in Normandy.

Stubbins is an industrial village in the southern part of the Rossendale Valley, Lancashire and dates back to 1563 when it was first listed as Stubbing. It literally meant "a place with tree stumps."[1]CITATION[CLOSE]
Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)


Early History of the Stubbink family


This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stubbink research.
Another 126 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1611, 1647, 1728, 1687, 1763 and 1735 are included under the topic Early Stubbink History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.

Stubbink Spelling Variations


Anglo-Norman names tend to be marked by an enormous number of spelling variations. This is largely due to the fact that Old and Middle English lacked any spelling rules when Norman French was introduced in the 11th century. The languages of the English courts at that time were French and Latin. These various languages mixed quite freely in the evolving social milieu. The final element of this mix is that medieval scribes spelled words according to their sounds rather than any definite rules, so a name was often spelled in as many different ways as the number of documents it appeared in. The name was spelled Stebbing, Stebing, Stubbings, Stubbing, Stebbings and many more.

Early Notables of the Stubbink family (pre 1700)


Another 30 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Stubbink Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.

Migration of the Stubbink family to Ireland


Some of the Stubbink family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 78 words (6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.

Migration of the Stubbink family to the New World and Oceana


Because of the political and religious discontent in England, families began to migrate abroad in enormous numbers. Faced with persecution and starvation at home, the open frontiers and generally less oppressive social environment of the New World seemed tantalizing indeed to many English people. The trip was difficult, and not all made it unscathed, but many of those who did get to Canada and the United States made important contributions to the young nations in which they settled. Some of the first North American settlers with Stubbink name or one of its variants: Edward Stebbing, who came to Cambridge Massachusetts in 1633, and was one of the founders of Hartford, CT; John, Rowland, Sarah, Thomas and Elizabeth Stebbins, who all arrived in New England in 1634.

The Stubbink Motto


The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.

Motto: Quiescam
Motto Translation: I shall rest.


Stubbink Family Crest Products



See Also



Citations


  1. ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)

Sign Up