Strethern was first used as a surname by descendants of the Pictish people of ancient Scotland
. The ancestors of the Strethern family lived in the old stewartry of Strathearn in the county of Perth.
Early Origins of the Strethern family
The surname Strethern was first found in Perthshire
(Gaelic: Siorrachd Pheairt) former county in the present day Council Area of Perth and Kinross, located in central Scotland
, where they had been anciently seated at Strathearn, in the valley of the Earn, about 1200.
Early History of the Strethern family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Strethern research.Another 171 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1296, 1331, 1462 and 1538 are included under the topic Early Strethern History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Strethern Spelling Variations
Repeated and inaccurate translation of Scottish names from Gaelic to English and back resulted in a wide variety of spelling variations
with single names. Strethern has appeared Strathearne, Strathearn, Strathern, Stratherne and many more.
Early Notables of the Strethern family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Strethern Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Strethern family to the New World and Oceana
Many Scottish families suffered enormous hardships and were compelled to leave their country of birth. They traveled to Ireland
, but mostly to the colonies of North America, where many found the freedom and opportunity they sought. It was not without a fight, though, as many were forced to stand up and defend their freedom in the American War of Independence
. The ancestors of these Scots abroad have rediscovered their heritage in the last century through the Clan
societies and other organizations that have sprung up across North America. Immigration and passenger ship lists show some important early immigrants bearing the name Strethern: Hugh Strathern who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1840.