The name Stavfork was brought to England
by the Normans
when they conquered the country in 1066. The ancestors of the Stavfork family lived in Staffordshire
, at Stafford, from where their name is derived.
Early Origins of the Stavfork family
The surname Stavfork was first found in Staffordshire
where they were descended from Roger de Toeni, founder of the Abbey of Conches, who died in the Civil Wars in Normandy
in 1038. His son, Ralph de Toeni, was hereditary Standard Bearer to King William the Conqueror, at the Battle of Hastings in 1066. His brother, Robert de Toeni, built a castle in Stafford and was the first to be surnamed Stafford. The family held eighty manors in thirteen Midland counties as recorded in the Domesday Book
compiled in 1086, and from the senior line of this noble family descended the Dukes of Buckingham.The parish of Mugginton, Derbyshire
played an important part of the family's heritage. "The manor, in Domesday Book
Mogintune, was anciently held under Earl Ferrers, and in the reign of Edward I
. was in moieties between the families of Chandos and Stafford. One moiety passed by a female heir to the immediate ancestor of Edward Sacheverell C. Pole, Esq.; and the Staffords' moiety has been successively in the families of Dethick, Rolleston, and Hallowes." CITATION[CLOSE]
Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
Early History of the Stavfork family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stavfork research.Another 130 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1469, 1521, 1523, 1350, 1403, 1377, 1403, 1452, 1432, 1450, 1402, 1460, 1455, 1483, 1500, 1556, 1554, 1612, 1574, 1655, 1593, 1625, 1593, 1684, 1630 and are included under the topic Early Stavfork History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Stavfork Spelling Variations
The English language only became standardized in the last few centuries. For that reason, spelling variations
are common among many Anglo-Norman names. The shape of the English language was frequently changed with the introduction of elements of Norman French, Latin, and other European languages; even the spelling of literate people's names were subsequently modified. Stavfork has been recorded under many different variations, including Stafford, Staford, Strafford and others.
Early Notables of the Stavfork family (pre 1700)
Outstanding amongst the family at this time was Katherine Swynford, Duchess of Lancaster (Catherine Synford), (1350-1403), daughter of Sir Payne (de) Roet originally a Flemish
herald from County of Hainaut, later knighted; Edmund Stafford, 5th Earl of Stafford and 6th Baron
Audley, (1377-1403), son of Hugh de Stafford, 2nd Earl of... Another 110 words (8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Stavfork Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Stavfork family to Ireland
Some of the Stavfork family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.Another 94 words (7 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Stavfork family to the New World and Oceana
To escape the uncertainty of the political and religious uncertainty found in England
, many English families boarded ships at great expense to sail for the colonies held by Britain. The passages were expensive, though, and the boats were unsafe, overcrowded, and ridden with disease. Those who were hardy and lucky enough to make the passage intact were rewarded with land, opportunity, and social environment less prone to religious and political persecution. Many of these families went on to be important contributors to the young nations of Canada and the United States where they settled. Stavforks were some of the first of the immigrants to arrive in North America: William Stafford, who settled in Virginia in 1622; Thomas Stafford, who settled in Rhode Island in 1630; Christopher Stafford, who settled in Virginia in 1635.