Start History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Start family
The surname Start was first found in Ayrshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Inbhir Àir), formerly a county in the southwestern Strathclyde region of Scotland, that today makes up the Council Areas of South, East, and North Ayrshire, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say before the Norman Conquest in 1066.
Important Dates for the Start family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Start research. Another 130 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1341, 1698, and 1703 are included under the topic Early Start History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Start Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Stirrett, Stirett, Sterritt, Stirratt, Starratt, Starrat, Starret and many more.
Early Notables of the Start family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Start Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Start family to Ireland
Some of the Start family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 82 words (6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Start migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Typical Start Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Start Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Philadelphia Start, who arrived in Maryland in 1663 
- James Start, who arrived in Maryland in 1666 
- William Start, who landed in Maryland in 1676 
- John Start, aged 16, who landed in Maryland in 1683 
Start migration to Australia
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
Start Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Edward Start, aged 25, a farm labourer, who arrived in South Australia in 1849 aboard the ship "Ascendant" 
- Edward Start, who arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Ascendant" in 1849 
Contemporary Notables of the name Start (post 1700)
- Joseph Start (1842-1927), one of the biggest stars of baseball's earliest era, and certainly the top first baseman of his time
- William E. Start, American Democrat politician, Postmaster at Sewickley, Pennsylvania, 1967-80
- Roy C. Start (1877-1956), American Republican politician, Mayor of Toledo, Ohio, 1936-39
- Romeo H. Start, American Republican politician, Presidential Elector for Vermont, 1872
- Henry R. Start (b. 1845), American politician, Member of Vermont State Senate from Franklin County, 1880; Justice of Vermont State Supreme Court, 1890
- Charles Monroe Start (1839-1919), American Republican politician, Minnesota State Attorney General, 1880-81:Chief Justice of Minnesota State Supreme Court, 1895-1913
- Amedee T. Start, American politician, U.S. Vice Consul in Martinique, 1898
- Miguel Start (b. 1987), New Zealand former rugby league player
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ State Records of South Australia. (Retrieved 2010, November 5) The ASCENDANT 1849. Retrieved from http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/BSA/1849Ascendant.htm