100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The roots of the German surname Spielmann lie in the kingdom of Bavaria
, where the name originated. Spielmann is an occupational
name, deriving from the Middle High German verb "spillen," meaning "to play, jest, sport." Thus, it is likely that the name was originally borne by an actor or a jester.
The surname Spielmann was first found in the city of Offenburg, in modern Baden-Wuerttemburg, where the name Spielman could be considered to make a great early contribution to the feudal
society which became the backbone of early development of Europe. The name Spielmann became prominent in local
affairs and branched into many houses which played important roles in the savage tribal and national conflicts, each group seeking power and status in a constantly changing territorial profile.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Spielmann, Spielman, Spellman, Spelmann, Spellmann, Speilman, Speillmann, Spillman, Spillmann, Spilman and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Spielmann research. Another 177 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1786, 1790, 1626, 1588, 1722 and 1783 are included under the topic Early Spielmann History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 91 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Spielmann Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Spielmann Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johannes Spielmann and his wife Maria, arrived in Virginia in 1714
- Johannes Spielmann, who landed in Virginia in 1714
- Leonhard Spielmann, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1773
- Leonhard Spielmann, who came to Pennsylvania in 1773
Spielmann Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Joh Engelbert Spielmann, who arrived in America in 1830
- G F Spielmann, who landed in Missouri in 1841
- Frederick Spielmann, aged 46, landed in Missouri in 1844
- John Henry Spielmann, aged 24, arrived in Missouri in 1846
- Anna Spielmann, aged 23, arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1893
- Peter James Spielmann (b. 1952), American journalist and educator
- Johannes Spielmann (1916-2005), German Major in the Wehrmacht during World War II, recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Dean Spielmann (b. 1962), Luxembourg lawyer, current Judge of the European Court of Human Rights
- Rudolf Spielmann (1883-1942), Austrian chess player, known for the Spielmann Variation
- Philip Spielmann Nielsen (b. 1992), Danish electronica artist
- Marion Harry Alexander Spielmann (1858-1948), English art critic, editor of The Connoisseur and Magazine of Art
- Götz Spielmann (b. 1961), Austrian Academy Award nominated film director
- Andrew Spielmann, America entomologist at Harvard University
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Kneschke, Dr. Ernest Heinrich. Neues allgemeines Deutsches Adels-Lexicon 9 Volumes New General German Aristocracy Lexicon. Leipzig: Friedrich Voigt, 1859. Print.
- Göbel, Otto. Niederdeutsche Familiennamen der Gegenwart Wolfshagen-Schäbentz. Franz: Westphal, 1936. Print.
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Journeys German Immigration, Settlement and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
The Spielmann Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Spielmann Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 6 December 2013 at 07:20.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!