on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: Danish, German, Norwegian
Where did the German Sorensen family come from? What is the German Sorensen family crest and coat of arms? When did the Sorensen family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Sorensen family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Sorenson, Sörsen, Sorson, Sornson, Seurenson, Saurson, Sauernson, Sernson, Serenson, Surson, Sursen and many more.
First found in Brunswick, where the name Sorenson was anciently associated with the tribal conflicts of the area. They declared allegiances to many nobles and princes of early history, lending their influence in struggles for power and status within the region. They branched into many houses, and their contributions were sought by many leaders in their search for power.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Sorensen research. Another 144 words (10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Sorensen History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Sorensen Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Sorensen Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Karen Marie Sorensen, aged 30, arrived in New York, NY in 1869
- Luckling Sorensen, who landed in New York, NY in 1869
- Marie Sorensen, aged 4, arrived in New York, NY in 1869
- Carl Sorensen, aged 26, arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1872
- Andrew Sorensen, who landed in Arkansas in 1875
Sorensen Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Waldemar Sorensen, who landed in Mississippi in 1906
- Christian Sorensen, who arrived in Wisconsin in 1910
- Hans Peter Sorensen, who landed in Wisconsin in 1914
- Carl Martin Peter Sorensen, who landed in Wisconsin in 1917
Sorensen Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Soren C. Sorensen, aged 28, a labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Cartvale" in 1874
- Y.N. Sorensen, aged 19, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Cartvale" in 1874
- Theodore Chaikin "Ted" Sorensen (1928-2010), American White House counsel 1961 to 1964
- Charles Emil Sorensen (1881-1968), Danish-American principal of the Ford Motor Company
- Swen Sorensen, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Wisconsin, 1948
- Severin N. Sorensen, American Democrat politician, Candidate in primary for Lieutenant Governor of Minnesota, 1916
- Philip C. Sorensen, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Nebraska, 1964; Lieutenant Governor of Nebraska, 1965-67; Candidate for Governor of Nebraska, 1966
- Otto Sorensen, American politician, Socialist Labor Candidate for New York State Assembly from Kings County 18th District, 1901
- Ken Sorensen, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Florida, 1980 (alternate), 1984; Member of Florida State House of Representatives 120th District, 1999
- Gillian Martin Sorensen (b. 1941), American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New York, 1976, 1984, 1988 (alternate); U.N. Assistant Secretary General for External Relations, 1997-
- Dean E Sorensen, American Republican politician, Candidate in primary for Lieutenant Governor of Idaho, 1994
- Christian Sorensen, American politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from California 9th District, 1928
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Tarneller, Josef. Zur Namenkunde Tirolen Familiennamen. Bozen: Buchhandlung, 1923. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Hopeful Journeys German Immigration, Settlement, and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Steed, Henry Wickham . The Hapsburg Monarchy. London: Constable and Company, 1919. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Abhandlungen zur Namenforschung und Buchgeschichte. 1980. Print. (ISBN 978-3768690522).
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmachers Wappenbuch. München, Battenberg: 1975. Print.
The Sorensen Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Sorensen Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 22 November 2014 at 10:54.
on orders of $85 or more