100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: Danish, German, Norwegian
Where did the German Sorensen family come from? What is the German Sorensen family crest and coat of arms? When did the Sorensen family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Sorensen family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Sorenson, Sörsen, Sorson, Sornson, Seurenson, Saurson, Sauernson, Sernson, Serenson, Surson, Sursen and many more.
First found in Brunswick, where the name Sorenson was anciently associated with the tribal conflicts of the area. They declared allegiances to many nobles and princes of early history, lending their influence in struggles for power and status within the region. They branched into many houses, and their contributions were sought by many leaders in their search for power.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Sorensen research. Another 144 words(10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Sorensen History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Sorensen Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Sorensen Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Karen Marie Sorensen, aged 30, arrived in New York, NY in 1869
- Luckling Sorensen, who landed in New York, NY in 1869
- Marie Sorensen, aged 4, arrived in New York, NY in 1869
- Carl Sorensen, aged 26, arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1872
- Andrew Sorensen, who landed in Arkansas in 1875
Sorensen Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Waldemar Sorensen, who landed in Mississippi in 1906
- Christian Sorensen, who arrived in Wisconsin in 1910
- Hans Peter Sorensen, who landed in Wisconsin in 1914
- Carl Martin Peter Sorensen, who landed in Wisconsin in 1917
Sorensen Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Soren C. Sorensen, aged 28, a labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Cartvale" in 1874
- Y.N. Sorensen, aged 19, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Cartvale" in 1874
- Theodore Chaikin "Ted" Sorensen (1928-2010), American White House counsel 1961 to 1964
- Charles Emil Sorensen (1881-1968), Danish-American principal of the Ford Motor Company
- Mr. Severin Martinius Sorensen (1894-1917), Norwegian Sailor aboard the SS Hovland from Christiansand, Norway who died in the Halifax Explosion on 6th December 1917
- Reginald William Sorensen (1891-1971), Baron Sorensen, Unitarian minister and Labour Party politician
- Thomas Sorensen (b. 1976), Danish footballer
- Gerry Sorensen (b. 1958), Canadian alpine skier
- Dane Sorensen, New Zealand rugby league footballer
- Chris Anker Sorensen (b. 1984), Danish Olympic cyclist
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Hopeful Journeys German Immigration, Settlement, and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Göbel, Otto. Niederdeutsche Familiennamen der Gegenwart Wolfshagen-Schäbentz. Franz: Westphal, 1936. Print.
- Jones, George F. The Germans of Colonial Georgia 1733-1783 Revised edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0806311614).
- Götze, Alfred. Familiennamen im badischen Oberland. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1918. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
The Sorensen Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Sorensen Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 22 November 2014 at 10:54.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!