100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: Danish, German, Norwegian
Where did the German Sorensen family come from? What is the German Sorensen family crest and coat of arms? When did the Sorensen family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Sorensen family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Sorenson, Sörsen, Sorson, Sornson, Seurenson, Saurson, Sauernson, Sernson, Serenson, Surson, Sursen and many more.
First found in Brunswick, where the name Sorenson was anciently associated with the tribal conflicts of the area. They declared allegiances to many nobles and princes of early history, lending their influence in struggles for power and status within the region. They branched into many houses, and their contributions were sought by many leaders in their search for power.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Sorensen research. Another 144 words(10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Sorensen History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Sorensen Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Sorensen Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Karen Marie Sorensen, aged 30, arrived in New York, NY in 1869
- Luckling Sorensen, who landed in New York, NY in 1869
- Marie Sorensen, aged 4, arrived in New York, NY in 1869
- Carl Sorensen, aged 26, arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1872
- Andrew Sorensen, who landed in Arkansas in 1875
Sorensen Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Waldemar Sorensen, who landed in Mississippi in 1906
- Christian Sorensen, who arrived in Wisconsin in 1910
- Hans Peter Sorensen, who landed in Wisconsin in 1914
- Carl Martin Peter Sorensen, who landed in Wisconsin in 1917
Sorensen Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Soren C. Sorensen, aged 28, a labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Cartvale" in 1874
- Y.N. Sorensen, aged 19, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Cartvale" in 1874
- Charles Emil Sorensen (1881-1968), Danish-American principal of the Ford Motor Company
- Theodore Chaikin "Ted" Sorensen (1928-2010), American White House counsel 1961 to 1964
- Chris Anker Sorensen (b. 1984), Danish Olympic cyclist
- Dane Sorensen, New Zealand rugby league footballer
- Gerry Sorensen (b. 1958), Canadian alpine skier
- Thomas Sorensen (b. 1976), Danish footballer
- Reginald William Sorensen (1891-1971), Baron Sorensen, Unitarian minister and Labour Party politician
- Mr. Severin Martinius Sorensen (1894-1917), Norwegian Sailor aboard the SS Hovland from Christiansand, Norway who died in the Halifax Explosion on 6th December 1917
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2000. Print. (ISBN 978-0806303024).
- Bahlow, Hans. Mecklenburgisches Namenbüchlein Ein Führer durch Mecklenburgs Familiennamen. Rostock: Carl Hinstorffs Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Hopeful Journeys German Immigration, Settlement, and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Gottschald, Max. Deutsche Namenkunde unsere Familiennamen nach ihrer Entstehung und Bedeutung. München: J.F. Lehmanns Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Göbel, Otto. Niederdeutsche Familiennamen der Gegenwart Wolfshagen-Schäbentz. Franz: Westphal, 1936. Print.
- Hildenbrand, A.M. Wappenfibel. Handbuch der Heraldik. Neustadt an der Aisch: 1970. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
The Sorensen Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Sorensen Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 22 November 2014 at 10:54.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!