Early Origins of the Roufley family
The surname Roufley was first found in Cheshire
where the family claim to be of Saxon blood but the earliest record of the name was in the time of Edward II., when Randolph de Rowley was seated at Carmichan. CITATION[CLOSE]
Lowe, Mark Anthony, Patronymica Britannica, A Dictionary of Family Names of the United Kingdom. London: John Russel Smith, 1860. Print.
There are also parishes named Rowley in Yorkshire
. The Assize Rolls of Yorkshire
list Adam de Ruelay in 1219 CITATION[CLOSE]
Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
and the Hundredorum Rolls
of 1273 list Adam de Roulay in Yorkshire
. There was a significant branch in Somerset
as seen by Gervase Rolegh and John Roley who were listed there during the reign of Edward I
. The Yorkshire Poll Tax
Rolls lists Johannes de Rouley in 1379. CITATION[CLOSE]
Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
Early History of the Roufley family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Roufley research.Another 149 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1513, 1571, 1547, 1559, 1560, 1690, 1768, 1585, 1626 and are included under the topic Early Roufley History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Roufley Spelling Variations
Early Notables of the Roufley family (pre 1700)
Migration of the Roufley family to Ireland
Some of the Roufley family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.Another 119 words (8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Roufley family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: John Rowley settled in Barbados in 1686; along with Joseph; David, George, Henry, Samuel, Thomas and William Rowley all arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1870..