100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, English, German, Irish, Jewish
Where did the English Roth family come from? What is the English Roth family crest and coat of arms? When did the Roth family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Roth family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Wroth, Wrothe, Roth, Rothe, Rotham, Roothem, Rootham, Wrothem and many more.
First found in Salop where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. After the Battle of Hastings in 1066, William, Duke of Normandy, having prevailed over King Harold, granted most of Britain to his many victorious Barons. It was not uncommon to find a Baron, or a Bishop, with 60 or more Lordships scattered throughout the country. These he gave to his sons, nephews and other junior lines of his family and they became known as under-tenants. They adopted the Norman system of surnames which identified the under-tenant with his holdings so as to distinguish him from the senior stem of the family. After many rebellious wars between his Barons, Duke William, commissioned a census of all England to determine in 1086, settling once and for all, who held which land. He called the census the Domesday Book,  indicating that those holders registered would hold the land until the end of time. Hence, conjecturally, the surname is descended from the tenant of the lands of Wroth who was recorded in the Domesday Book census of 1086.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Roth research. Another 259 words(18 lines of text) covering the years 1546, 1603, 1st., 1613, 1619, 1645, 1587, 1651, 1516, 1573, 1540, 1606, 1671, 1576, 1642 and 1639 are included under the topic Early Roth History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 165 words(12 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Roth Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Roth Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Gunnar Olufson Roth, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1649
Roth Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johan Engelbert Roth, who arrived in New York in 1709
- Johann Roth, who sailed to Carolina and/or Pennsylvania in 1709
- David Roth, who sailed to Pennsylvania in 1720
- David Roth, who landed in America in 1720
- Georg Roth moved to Georgia in 1733
Roth Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Johann Roth who settled in Philadelphia with his family in 1803
- Franz Ludwig Roth, who landed in North America in 1837
- Fredrick Roth, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1837
- Adam Roth, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1841
- Carl Roth, aged 37, landed in New Orleans, La in 1845
Roth Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Johann Roth, aged 21, landed in America in 1901
- Albert Roth, who landed in Wisconsin in 1920
Roth Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Georg Roth settled in Canada in 1783
Roth Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Margaret Roth arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Woodlark" in 1873
- William F. Roth arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Woodlark" in 1873
- Robert Roth arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Woodlark" in 1873
- Marie Roth arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Woodlark" in 1873
- William James Roth arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Woodlark" in 1873
- Eric Roth, American Academy Award winning writer, producer and actor, know for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008), Forrest Gump (1994) and Munich (2005)
- Eli Raphael Roth (b. 1972), American multiple award winning producer, actor and writer
- Philip Milton Roth (b. 1933), American author and winner of the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1998 and the Man Booker Prize in 2011
- Richard Roth (b. 1955), American journalist
- Henry Roth (1906-1995), American novelist and short story writer
- Simon Timothy "Tim" Roth (b. 1961), born Timothy Simon Smith, an English Academy Award nominated film actor, known for Pulp Fiction (1994), Reservoir Dogs (1992) and The Incredible Hulk (2008)
- Miss Sarah A. Roth, aged 26, English Third Class passenger from London who sailed aboard the RMS Titanic and survived the sinking in collapsible C
- Andrea Roth (b. 1967), Canadian actress, known for Rescue Me (2004), War (2007) and The Collector (2009)
- Klaus Friedrich Roth (b. 1925), British mathematician awarded a Fields Medal in 1958
- Joseph Roth (1894-1939), important novelist from Galicia (Ukraine)
- Patrimony: a True Story by Philip Roth.
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
The Roth Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Roth Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 30 October 2012 at 13:13.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!