on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, English, German, Irish, Jewish
Where did the English Roth family come from? What is the English Roth family crest and coat of arms? When did the Roth family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Roth family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Wroth, Wrothe, Roth, Rothe, Rotham, Roothem, Rootham, Wrothem and many more.
First found in Salop where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. After the Battle of Hastings in 1066, William, Duke of Normandy, having prevailed over King Harold, granted most of Britain to his many victorious Barons. It was not uncommon to find a Baron, or a Bishop, with 60 or more Lordships scattered throughout the country. These he gave to his sons, nephews and other junior lines of his family and they became known as under-tenants. They adopted the Norman system of surnames which identified the under-tenant with his holdings so as to distinguish him from the senior stem of the family. After many rebellious wars between his Barons, Duke William, commissioned a census of all England to determine in 1086, settling once and for all, who held which land. He called the census the Domesday Book,  indicating that those holders registered would hold the land until the end of time. Hence, conjecturally, the surname is descended from the tenant of the lands of Wroth who was recorded in the Domesday Book census of 1086.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Roth research. Another 259 words(18 lines of text) covering the years 1546, 1603, 1st., 1613, 1619, 1645, 1587, 1651, 1516, 1573, 1540, 1606, 1671, 1576, 1642 and 1639 are included under the topic Early Roth History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 165 words(12 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Roth Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Roth Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Gunnar Olufson Roth, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1649
Roth Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johan Engelbert Roth, who arrived in New York in 1709
- Johann Roth, who sailed to Carolina and/or Pennsylvania in 1709
- David Roth, who sailed to Pennsylvania in 1720
- David Roth, who landed in America in 1720
- Georg Roth moved to Georgia in 1733
Roth Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Johann Roth who settled in Philadelphia with his family in 1803
- Franz Ludwig Roth, who landed in North America in 1837
- Fredrick Roth, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1837
- Adam Roth, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1841
- Carl Roth, aged 37, landed in New Orleans, La in 1845
Roth Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Johann Roth, aged 21, landed in America in 1901
- Albert Roth, who landed in Wisconsin in 1920
Roth Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Georg Roth settled in Canada in 1783
Roth Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Margaret Roth arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Woodlark" in 1873
- William F. Roth arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Woodlark" in 1873
- Robert Roth arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Woodlark" in 1873
- Marie Roth arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Woodlark" in 1873
- William James Roth arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Woodlark" in 1873
- Henry Roth (1906-1995), American novelist and short story writer
- Richard Roth (b. 1955), American journalist
- Philip Milton Roth (b. 1933), American author and winner of the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1998 and the Man Booker Prize in 2011
- Simon Timothy "Tim" Roth (b. 1961), English film actor
- Miss Sarah A. Roth, aged 26, English Third Class passenger from London who sailed aboard the RMS Titanic and survived the sinking in collapsible C
- Eugen Roth (1895-1976), German lyricist and poet
- Sir Martin Roth FRS (1917-2006), British psychiatrist
- Joseph Roth (1894-1939), important novelist from Galicia (Ukraine)
- Klaus Friedrich Roth (b. 1925), British mathematician awarded a Fields Medal in 1958
- Patrimony: a True Story by Philip Roth.
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
The Roth Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Roth Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 30 October 2012 at 13:13.
on orders of $85 or more