Origins Available: French-Alt
From the historical and enchanting region of France emerged a multitude of noble families, including the distinguished Rossouw family. Originally, the French people were known only by a single name. The process by which hereditary surnames
were adopted in France is extremely interesting. Surnames evolved during the Middle Ages when people began to assume an extra name to avoid confusion and to further identify themselves. Often they adopted names that were derived from nicknames. Nickname
surnames were derived from an eke-name, or added name. They usually reflected the physical characteristics or attributes of the first person that used the name. The name Rossouw is a nickname
type of surname for a person with red hair or a ruddy complexion. Tracing the origin of the name further, we found the name Rossouw was originally derived from the Old French word "rous," meaning "red."
Early Origins of the Rossouw family
The surname Rossouw was first found in Burgundy (French: Bourgogne), an administrative and historical region of east-central France, where the family held a family seat
since ancient times.
Early History of the Rossouw family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Rossouw research.Another 529 words (38 lines of text) covering the years 1728, 1662, 1671, 1871, 1630, 1693, 1671, 1741, 1644 and 1699 are included under the topic Early Rossouw History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Rossouw Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Rousseau, Rouseau, Rosseau, Rouseault, Roussault, Rouseult, Rosault, Rosseault, Rousult, DeRousseau, Derousseau, de Rousseau, De Rousault, de Rousault, Derousult, DeRouseau, de Rouseau, De Rouseau, LeRousseau, le Rousseau, Lerousseau, Aurousseau and many more.
Early Notables of the Rossouw family (pre 1700)
Another 38 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Rossouw Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Rossouw family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Pierre Rousseau aged 34 arrived in New Orleans in 1823; Mr. Rousseau arrived in Carolina in 1679 with his wife and 6 children; John Peter Rousseau arrived in Philidelphia in 1803.
Contemporary Notables of the name Rossouw (post 1700)
- Neil Rossouw (b. 1976), Namibian cricketer
- Jacques Rossouw (b. 1943), South African-born physician who heads the Women's Health Initiative
- Pieter Willem Gabriel Rossouw (b. 1971), former South African rugby player and current coach
- Daniel Jacobus "Danie" Rossouw (b. 1978), South African rugby union footballer
- Christiaan le Cordier "Chris" Rossouw (b. 1969), retired South African rugby union player
- Chris Rossouw (b. 1976), South African rugby union player, Member of the South Africa national rugby union team
- Rilee Roscoe Rossouw (b. 1989), South African cricketer who plays for the Knights and Free State
- Jéan Rossouw (b. 1988), South African rugby union player, currently playing with the SWD Eagles