In ancient Scotland
, the first people to use Robertoom as a surname were the Strathclyde- Britons
. It was a name someone who lived in Lanarkshire.
Early Origins of the Robertoom family
The surname Robertoom was first found in Lanarkshire
(Gaelic: Siorrachd Lannraig) a former county in the central Strathclyde region of Scotland
, now divided into the Council Areas of North Lanarkshire
, South Lanarkshire, and the City of Glasgow, where they held a family seat
in Roberton from very ancient times. The name was given by Robert, brother of Lambin, about the year 1220, often confused with Robertson, this name appears to be as old as if not older than the Robertsons of Struan.
Early History of the Robertoom family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Robertoom research.Another 213 words (15 lines of text) covering the years 1296, 1329, 1390, 1408, 1487, 1600, 1672, 1590 and 1664 are included under the topic Early Robertoom History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Robertoom Spelling Variations
Before the printing press standardized spelling in the last few hundred
years, no general rules existed in the English language. Spelling variations
in Scottish names from the Middle Ages are common even within a single document. Robertoom has been spelled Roberton, Robertoun, Robertown and others.
Early Notables of the Robertoom family (pre 1700)
Another 18 words (1 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Robertoom Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Robertoom family to the New World and Oceana
For Scottish immigrants, the great expense of travel to North America did not seem such a problem in those unstable times. Acres of land awaited them and many got the chance to fight for their freedom in the American War of Independence
. These Scots and their ancestors went on to play important roles in the forging of the great nations of the United States and Canada. Among them: John Roberton who arrived in Philadelphia in 1829.