The Strathclyde-Briton people of ancient Scotland
were the first to use the name Robertolm. The Robertolm family lived in Lanarkshire.
Early Origins of the Robertolm family
The surname Robertolm was first found in Lanarkshire
(Gaelic: Siorrachd Lannraig) a former county in the central Strathclyde region of Scotland
, now divided into the Council Areas of North Lanarkshire
, South Lanarkshire, and the City of Glasgow, where they held a family seat
in Roberton from very ancient times. The name was given by Robert, brother of Lambin, about the year 1220, often confused with Robertson, this name appears to be as old as if not older than the Robertsons of Struan.
Early History of the Robertolm family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Robertolm research.Another 213 words (15 lines of text) covering the years 1296, 1329, 1390, 1408, 1487, 1600, 1672, 1590 and 1664 are included under the topic Early Robertolm History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Robertolm Spelling Variations
Medieval Scottish names are rife with spelling variations
. This is due to the fact that scribes in that era spelled according to the sound of words, rather than any set of rules. Robertolm has been spelled Roberton, Robertoun, Robertown and others.
Early Notables of the Robertolm family (pre 1700)
Another 18 words (1 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Robertolm Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Robertolm family to the New World and Oceana
Many Scots were left with few options other than to leave their homeland for the colonies across the Atlantic. Some of these families fought to defend their newfound freedom in the American War of Independence
. Others went north to Canada as United Empire Loyalists. The ancestors of all of these families have recently been able to rediscover their roots through Clan
societies and other Scottish organizations. Among them: John Roberton who arrived in Philadelphia in 1829.