Anglo-Saxon tribes in Britain. It is a result of when they lived in the village of Reading found in the county of Berkshire. The surname Readon is a topographic surname, which was given to a person who resided near a physical feature such as a hill, stream, church, or type of tree. In this case the surname was originally derived from the Old English word rydding which simply refers to an area that has been cleared.
Early Origins of the Readon family
Sussex. One of the earliest records of the surname was John of Reading (Latin: Johannes de Reading, Johannes Radingia) who died 1346. He was an English Franciscan theologian and scholastic philosopher and follower of Duns Scotus. He wrote a commentary on the Four Books of Sentences written by Peter Lombard around 1320, at the University of Oxford. In 1322, he accepted a teaching position at Avignon and it was there that he died.
Early History of the Readon family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Readon research.
Another 169 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1588, 1667, 1645, 1692, 1674, 1677, 1686, 1767, 1747, 1748, 1757 and 1758 are included under the topic Early Readon History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Readon Spelling Variations
Only recently has spelling become standardized in the English language. As the English language evolved in the Middle Ages, the spelling of names changed also. The name Readon has undergone many spelling variations, including Reading, Reding, Redding, Reddin and others.
Early Notables of the Readon family (pre 1700)
Another 42 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Readon Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Readon family to the New World and Oceana
To escape the unstable social climate in England of this time, many families boarded ships for the New World with the hope of finding land, opportunity, and greater religious and political freedom. Although the voyages were expensive, crowded, and difficult, those families that arrived often found greater opportunities and freedoms than they could have experienced at home. Many of those families went on to make significant contributions to the rapidly developing colonies in which they settled. Early North American records indicate many people bearing the name Readon were among those contributors: Henry Readding, James Readding, Jeremy Readding and Richard Readding, who all arrived in Virginia in 1634; Miles and Joseph Reading, who came to Salem in 1630.
The Readon Motto
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Dieu defende la droit
Motto Translation: God defends the right.
Readon Family Crest Products