100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English-Alt, English, German
Where did the German Peters family come from? What is the German Peters family crest and coat of arms? When did the Peters family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Peters family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Peter, Petter, Peeter, Peetter, Peater, Peatter, Peters, Petersen, Peer, Peers and many more.
First found in the Palatinate, where the name emerged in mediaeval times as one of the notable families of the region. From the 13th century the surname was identified with the great social and economic evolution which made this territory a landmark contributor to the development of the nation.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Peters research. Another 349 words (25 lines of text) covering the years 1790, 1747, 1784, 1615, 1676, 1624, 1677, 1779, 1827, 1819, 1864, 1856 and 1918 are included under the topic Early Peters History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 205 words (15 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Peters Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Peters Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Edmond Peters, who arrived in Virginia in 1654
- Andrew Peters, who arrived in Virginia in 1664
- Augustine Peters, who arrived in Maryland in 1668
- Ann Peters, who landed in Maryland in 1679
Peters Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Frans Henrig Peters, who landed in New York in 1709
- Charles Peters, who arrived in Virginia in 1718
- David Peters settled in Georgia with his wife Eleanor and four children in 1733
- Arnold Peters, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1772
Peters Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Christjan Heinrich Peters, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1806
- Benjamin L Peters, aged 22, arrived in New York in 1812
- Ernst Heinr Peters, who arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1836
- Cath Elis Peters, who landed in America in 1840
- Anton Jos Peters, who landed in America in 1843
Peters Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Aaron Peters, who landed in Manitoba in 1875
- Agatha Peters, who arrived in Manitoba in 1875
- Claus Peters, who arrived in Manitoba in 1875
- Franz Peters, who arrived in Manitoba in 1875
- David Peters, who arrived in Manitoba in 1879
Peters Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Thomas Peters, English convict from Middlesex, who was transported aboard the "Andromeda" on November 13, 1832, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- Robert Peters arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Lloyds" in 1838
- John Peters, English convict from Liverpool, Lancaster, who was transported aboard the "Anson" on September 23, 1843, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
- Jane Peters arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Cressy" in 1847
Peters Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- James Peters arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Alma" in 1857
- Harriet Peters arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Alma" in 1857
- Martha Peters arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Alma" in 1857
- Hannah Peters arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Alma" in 1857
- Isaac Peters, aged 24, arrived in Lyttelton, New Zealand aboard the ship "Accrington" in 1863
- Nick Anthony Peters (1939-2015), American baseball writer,known for his coverage of the San Francisco Giants, recipient of the J. G. Taylor Spink Award (2009)
- Henry J. "Hank" Peters (1924-2015), American baseball executive, Kansas City Athletics General Manager in 1965, Baltimore Orioles General Manager (1975-1987), Cleveland Indians President (1987-1992)
- Dan Peters (1954-2014), American basketball coach
- Robert Louis Peters (1924-2014), American poet, critic, scholar, playwright, editor, and actor
- Christian August Friedrich Peters (1806-1880), German astronomer, father of astronomer Carl Friedrich Wilhelm Peters
- Ivan Augustus Murrell Peters (1943-2006), American outfielder in Major League Baseball
- Frank Peters Jr., American music critic awarded the 1972 Pulitzer Prize for Criticism
- Jane Alice Peters (1908-1942), original name of Carole Lombard, American actress and recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom
- Private George J Peters, American soldier awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1945
- Brock Peters, American actor
- Genealogical Chronology of John Peter Snyder, 1729-1807, and his Wife Mary Catharine Elizabeth (Stentz) Snyder, 1739-1782 and their Descendants by Howard W. Stentz.
- Some Ancestors and Descendants of John Frederick Peters and his Wife Mary Louise Moses of Hoosick Falls, new York by Dorothy Rudd DuMond.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Karlsruhe. Badisches Generallandesarchiv Baden Emigration lists 1866-1911. Salt Lake City: Microfilm of Card Index by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Print.
- Kapff, Rudolf. Schwäbische Geschlechtsnamen. Stuttgart: Verlag Silberburg, 1927. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmacher's Grosses Wappenbuch 35 Volumes. Germany: Bauer & Raspe. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Bahlow, Hans. Mecklenburgisches Namenbüchlein Ein Führer durch Mecklenburgs Familiennamen. Rostock: Carl Hinstorffs Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Tarneller, Josef. Zur Namenkunde Tirolen Familiennamen. Bozen: Buchhandlung, 1923. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Gottschald, Max. Deutsche Namenkunde unsere Familiennamen nach ihrer Entstehung und Bedeutung. München: J.F. Lehmanns Verlag, 1932. Print.
The Peters Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Peters Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 8 January 2015 at 12:49.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!