100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: English-Alt
The surname Peters was first found in the Palatinate, where the name emerged in mediaeval times as one of the notable families of the region. From the 13th century the surname was identified with the great social and economic evolution which made this territory a landmark contributor to the development of the nation.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Peter, Petter, Peeter, Peetter, Peater, Peatter, Peters, Petersen, Peer, Peers and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Peters research. Another 349 words (25 lines of text) covering the years 1790, 1747, 1784, 1615, 1676, 1624, 1677, 1779, 1827, 1819, 1864, 1856 and 1918 are included under the topic Early Peters History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 205 words (15 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Peters Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Peters Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Edmond Peters, who arrived in Virginia in 1654
- Andrew Peters, who arrived in Virginia in 1664
- Augustine Peters, who arrived in Maryland in 1668
- Ann Peters, who landed in Maryland in 1679
Peters Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Frans Henrig Peters, who landed in New York in 1709
- Charles Peters, who arrived in Virginia in 1718
- David Peters settled in Georgia with his wife Eleanor and four children in 1733
- Arnold Peters, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1772
Peters Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Christjan Heinrich Peters, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1806
- Benjamin L Peters, aged 22, arrived in New York in 1812
- Ernst Heinr Peters, who arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1836
- Cath Elis Peters, who landed in America in 1840
- Anton Jos Peters, who landed in America in 1843
Peters Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. Samuel Peters U.E. (b. 1712) who arrived in New Brunswick c. 1783 was transported aboard the ship "Mercury" married with 1 child, he died in 1788
- Mr. Thomas Peters U.E. (b. 1749) from Dutchess County, New York, USA who settled in Fredericton, New Brunswick c. 1784 married to Susannah having 6 children, he died in 1813
- Mr. William Peters U.E. who settled in Parr Town, Saint John, New Brunswick c. 1784 he died in 1835 in Woodstock, New Brunswick
- Mr. William Peters U.E. who settled in Kings County, New Brunswick c. 1784 he died in 1805
- Mr. Andrew Peters U.E. who settled in St. Andrews, Charlotte County, New Brunswick c. 1784 he was part of the Cape Ann Association
Peters Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Franz Peters, who arrived in Manitoba in 1875
- Aaron Peters, who landed in Manitoba in 1875
- Agatha Peters, who arrived in Manitoba in 1875
- Claus Peters, who arrived in Manitoba in 1875
- David Peters, who arrived in Manitoba in 1879
Peters Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Thomas Peters, English convict from Middlesex, who was transported aboard the "Andromeda" on November 13, 1832, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- Robert Peters arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Lloyds" in 1838
- John Peters, English convict from Liverpool, Lancaster, who was transported aboard the "Anson" on September 23, 1843, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
- Jane Peters arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Cressy" in 1847
Peters Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- James Peters arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Alma" in 1857
- Harriet Peters arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Alma" in 1857
- Martha Peters arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Alma" in 1857
- Hannah Peters arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Alma" in 1857
- Isaac Peters, aged 24, arrived in Lyttelton, New Zealand aboard the ship "Accrington" in 1863
- Marjorie L. Peters (1918-2016), nicknamed "Little Mac"or "Pete," an American All-American Girls Professional Baseball League pitcher who played from 1943 through 1944 for the Rockford Peaches
- Nick Anthony Peters (1939-2015), American baseball writer,known for his coverage of the San Francisco Giants, recipient of the J. G. Taylor Spink Award (2009)
- Henry J. "Hank" Peters (1924-2015), American baseball executive, Kansas City Athletics General Manager in 1965, Baltimore Orioles General Manager (1975-1987), Cleveland Indians President (1987-1992)
- Dan Peters (1954-2014), American basketball coach
- Robert Louis Peters (1924-2014), American poet, critic, scholar, playwright, editor, and actor
- Christian August Friedrich Peters (1806-1880), German astronomer, father of astronomer Carl Friedrich Wilhelm Peters
- Ivan Augustus Murrell Peters (1943-2006), American outfielder in Major League Baseball
- Frank Peters Jr., American music critic awarded the 1972 Pulitzer Prize for Criticism
- Jane Alice Peters (1908-1942), original name of Carole Lombard, American actress and recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom
- Private George J Peters, American soldier awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1945
- Genealogical Chronology of John Peter Snyder, 1729-1807, and his Wife Mary Catharine Elizabeth (Stentz) Snyder, 1739-1782 and their Descendants by Howard W. Stentz.
- Some Ancestors and Descendants of John Frederick Peters and his Wife Mary Louise Moses of Hoosick Falls, new York by Dorothy Rudd DuMond.
- Karlsruhe. Badisches Generallandesarchiv Baden Emigration lists 1866-1911. Salt Lake City: Microfilm of Card Index by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans (Edda Gentry trns). Dictionary of German Names . Madison, Wisconsin: Max Kade Institute, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7).
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Kneschke, Dr. Ernest Heinrich. Neues allgemeines Deutsches Adels-Lexicon 9 Volumes New General German Aristocracy Lexicon. Leipzig: Friedrich Voigt, 1859. Print.
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2000. Print. (ISBN 978-0806303024).
The Peters Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Peters Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 9 March 2016 at 15:17.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!