Brythonic in origin, the name of Penyon came from the rugged landscape of Wales
. The name is from the common Welsh personal name
Enion. The Old Welsh
form of this name was Enniaun, which is ultimately derived from the Latin name Annianus. The name is also associated with the Welsh
word "enion," which literally means "anvil" and connotes the qualities of stability and fortitude. Some experts also associate the surname Penyon with the Welsh
word "uniawn," which means "upright" or "just." One of the most celebrated bearers of this forename was Einion (or Enyon), a 11th century Welsh
warrior-prince and the son of Collwyn. He played a significant role in the legend of the Conquest of Glamorgan by the Normans
. It is generally believed that he built Port Eynon castle near Swansea, but evidence of the early castle has been lost. Port Eynon (also spelt Port Einon) still survives today as a village and community in the city and county of Swansea.
Early Origins of the Penyon family
The surname Penyon was first found in Sussex
, where they held a family seat
from early times. The family name is derived from a very popular Welsh personal name
. In the 11th century Einion was a Welsh
prince and warrior, son of Collwyn. Prince Einion played a great part in the famous legend of the Conquest of Glamorgan by the Normans
. Today Port Eynon (Port Einon) is a village in Swansea, Wales
. In England
, the personal name
can be found in Shropshire
as early as 1159, where Ennian filius
Gieruero was registered.
Early History of the Penyon family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Penyon research.Another 171 words (12 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Penyon History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Penyon Spelling Variations
have an extremely large amount of spelling variations
of their native surnames to their credit. It was up to the priest or the scribe taking the official records to determine how the spoken name was to be made literal. As time progressed, the old Brythonic names of Wales
were recorded in English, which was especially problematic since the English language had extreme difficulty recording the highly inflected sounds of Cymraeg. Spelling variations
were, however, also carried out according to an individual's design: a branch loyalty within the family, a religious adherence, or even patriotic affiliations could be indicated by spelling variations of one's name. The spelling variations of the name Penyon have included Einion, Ennian, Annian, Anyan, Einion, Ennion, Enions, Inion, Inions, Innion, Innions, Ineon, Eneon, Onion and many more.
Early Notables of the Penyon family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Penyon Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Penyon family to Ireland
Some of the Penyon family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.Another 39 words (3 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Penyon family to the New World and Oceana
families joined their Scottish and Irish neighbors during the late 1800s and early 1900s in seeking refuge in North America. Like the Irish and Scottish, many Welsh
anxiously awaited the work, freedom, and opportunities that they believed lay in North America. Those who did journey over to the United States and what became known as Canada often realized those dreams, but only through much toil and perseverance. Whenever and however these Welsh
immigrants arrived in North America, they were instrumental in the creation of the industry, commerce, and cultural heritage within those two developing nations. In the immigration and passenger lists a number of early immigrants bearing the name Penyon were found: Alice Onion, who settled in Virginia in 1653; with her husband Thomas; George Onion settled in Virginia in 1624 with his wife Elizabeth; Mary Onion and her husband who arrived in Barbados in 1654.