100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: German, Italian
Where did the Italian Otto family come from? What is the Italian Otto family crest and coat of arms? When did the Otto family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Otto family history?The Otto surname was created from the Germanic personal name Odo, or Otto. Oddi, is patronymic or plural form of the surname.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Oddi, Oddo, Odda, Odi, Oddone, Oddoni, Odone, Otto, Oddini, Ottoni, Odino, Ottella, Ottobelli, Ottolino and many more.
First found in Perugia (Latin: Perusia), the capital city of the region of Umbria in central Italy, crossed by the Tiber River, capital of the province of Perugia. Perusia took part in a rebellion in 295 B.C. and was reduced with the exceptions of the temples Vulcan and Juno. In the 9th century A.D the city was a papal territory but remained true to the Guelphs. Records are found in 1280, when Oddo Oddi was mayor of Parma. From this family came two more mayors in Parma: Ungaro in 1291 and Marolo in 1293. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Otto research. Another 183 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1567, 1818, 1450, 1540, 1526, 1646, 1710, 1667 and 1740 are included under the topic Early Otto History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 347 words (25 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Otto Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Otto Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Heinrich Otto, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1739
- Mathias Otto, who arrived in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania in 1740
- John Matthew Otto, who arrived in New York, NY in 1750
- Nicolaus Christian Otto, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1753
- Henrich Otto, aged 20, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1753
Otto Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Johannes Otto, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1804
- Johannes Otto, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1804
- Henry Otto, who landed in Maryland in 1828
- Elisabeth Otto, who landed in America in 1839
- Doroth Christiane Otto, aged 37, arrived in America in 1844
Otto Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Charles Otto, who arrived in Michigan in 1902
- Charles Otto, who settled in Michigan in 1902 with his wife, Alette Swendsen, and their two children
Otto Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Gottfried Otto, who landed in Canada in 1783
Otto Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Charles Otto, aged 29, a cooper, arrived in South Australia in 1847 aboard the ship "Gellert"
- John Clifford Otto (b. 1948), American accountant and politician, Texas State Representative from District 18 (2005-)
- John Otto (1900-1966), American cyclist at the 1920 Summer Olympics
- John Otto (1929-1999), American radio talk show host in Buffalo, New York
- John Otto (1870-1952), the first park custodian at Colorado National Monument
- John E. Otto (b. 1938), American acting director of the FBI in 1987
- Michael Everett Otto (b. 1983), American football offensive tackle for the Tennessee Titans (2007-2014)
- William Tod Otto (1816-1905), American judge
- Thomas Otto (b. 1938), American engineer, owner and founder of Thor Engineers, Leonia, N.J
- Michael Damien Otto (b. 1964), New Zealand engineer, public relations adviser and journalist
- Michael Otto (b. 1943), Polish-born, head of German Otto Group, the world's largest mail order company
- The Trummel Family, 1633-1989 and Related Lines Otto, Gurtner, Ehling by Eleanor Clary.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Fucilla, Josheph G. Our Italian Surnames. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0806311878).
- Glazier, Ira A. and P. Williams Filby Edition. Italians to America. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield. Print.
- Gheno, Antonio. Contributo alla Bibliografia Genealogica Italiana. Bologna: Forni, 1924. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Bongioanni, Angelo. Nomi e Cognomi. Saggio di Ricerche Etimologiche e Storiche. Torino: A. Forni, 1979. Print.
- Guelfi Camajani, Piero. Dizionario Araldico 1940 Reprint Arnoaldo Forni. Milan: 1978. Print.
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- Stiens, Robert E. Passenger list Italy to New York 1893 In Italian Genealogist. Torrance, CA: Augustan Society No 3, 1983. Print.
- Di Crollalanza, Goffredo. Enciclopedia araldico cavalleresca Prontuario nobiliare. Pisa: Presso La Direzione Del Giorale Araldica , 1878. Print.
The Otto Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Otto Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 17 September 2013 at 13:21.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!