on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The name Ottley belongs to the early history of Britain, it's origins lie with the Anglo-Saxons
. It is a product of their having lived in the parish of Oteley found in the counties of Shropshire
and the West Riding of Yorkshire.
The surname Ottley was first found in Shropshire
where they held a family seat
from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
Until the dictionary, an invention of only the last few hundred years, the English language lacked any comprehensive system of spelling rules. Consequently, spelling variations in names are frequently found in early Anglo-Saxon and later Anglo-Norman documents. One person's name was often spelled several different ways over a lifetime. The recorded variations of Ottley include Ottley, Otley, Oatley, Oteley, Oatly and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ottley research. Another 273 words (20 lines of text) covering the years 1434, 1716, 1601, 1649, 1643, 1644, 1646, 1626, 1670, 1661 and 1723 are included under the topic Early Ottley History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 95 words (7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ottley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Thousands of English families boarded ships sailing to the New World in the hope of escaping the unrest found in England
at this time. Although the search for opportunity and freedom from persecution abroad took the lives of many because of the cramped conditions and unsanitary nature of the vessels, the opportunity perceived in the growing colonies of North America beckoned. Many of the settlers who survived the journey went on to make important contributions to the transplanted cultures of their adopted countries. The Ottley were among these contributors, for they have been located in early North American records:
Ottley Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Arthur Ottley (1649-1705) was born in St. Christopher's
Ottley Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Susannah Ottley, an English convict, who arrived in Virginia in 1773
Ottley Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Thomas Ottley, aged 23, landed in New York in 1812
- William Ottley, aged 60, arrived in New York in 1812
- Ryan Ottley, American comic book artist, best known for work on Image Comics' Invincible
- Vincent Lushington "Roi" Ottley (1906-1960), American journalist and writer, among the most famous African American correspondents in the United States
- Jerold Ottley, American retired music director of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir (1974-1999)
- Robert Lawrence Ottley (1856-1933), English theologian, Principal of Cuddesdon Theological College from 1886, Regius Professor of Moral and Pastoral Theology in 1903
- David George Ottley (b. 1944), former English cricketer who played from 1985 to 1967
- William Young Ottley (1771-1836), English collector of and writer on art, amateur artist, and Keeper of the Department of Prints and Drawings at the British Museum
- Rear-Admiral Sir Charles Langdale Ottley KCMG, CB, MVO (1858-1932), English Naval officer, Director of Naval Intelligence
- William Ottley (1797-1820), English barrister at law in England, who died in St. Vincent
- Douglas Ottley, New Zealand former association football player for the New Zealand National Team (1988-1989)
- Sir Richard Ottley (1782-1845), British jurist, Chief Justice of Grenada (1814-1820), 5th Chief Justice of Ceylon (1827-1833)
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
The Ottley Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Ottley Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 December 2015 at 08:14.
on orders of $85 or more