The Irish name Okelleagh has a long Gaelic heritage to its credit. The original Gaelic form of the name Okelleagh is O Ceallaigh or Mac Ceallaigh. These names denote descendants of Ceallach. This personal name
may be derived from the word "ceallach," which means "strife."
Early Origins of the Okelleagh family
The surname Okelleagh was first found in southwest Ireland
, south of Dublin
where they held a family seat
from very ancient times. The Kelly surname is conjecturally descended from King Colla da Crioch, who died in 357 A.D.
Early History of the Okelleagh family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Okelleagh research.Another 223 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 1518, 1238, 1253, 1555, 1597, 1621, 1695, 1701, 1690 and 1699 are included under the topic Early Okelleagh History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Okelleagh Spelling Variations
The recording of names in Ireland
during the Middle Ages was an inconsistent endeavor at best. Since the general population did not know how to read or write, they could only specify how their names should be recorded orally. Research into the name Okelleagh revealed spelling variations
, including Kelly, Kellie, O'Kelly, O'Killia and others.
Early Notables of the Okelleagh family (pre 1700)
Prominent amongst the family at this time was Daniel MacKelly; Sir Edward Kelley or Kelly, also known as Edward Talbot (1555-1597), Irish occultist and self-declared spirit medium; Charles O’Kelly (1621-1695) was an Irish soldier and writer from Aughrim, County Galway; and James Gilliam, also known as James Kelly, (died 1701), an... Another 74 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Okelleagh Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Okelleagh family to the New World and Oceana
Death and immigration greatly reduced Ireland's population in the 19th century. For the native Irish people poverty, hunger, and racial prejudice was common. Therefore, thousands left their homeland to seek opportunity in North America. Those who survived the journey and the quarantine camps to which they arrived, were instrumental towards building the strong developing nations of the United States and the future Canada. By far, the largest influx of Irish settlers occurred with Great Potato Famine
during the late 1840s. These were employed as construction or factory workers. An examination of passenger and immigration lists has shown early immigrants bearing the name Okelleagh: Brian Kelly, who purchased land in Virginia in 1635; David O'Killlia came to Old Yarmouth/New Dennis, MA in the early 1600s, where he changed his name to O'Kelley.
The Okelleagh Motto
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Turris Fortis Mihi Deus
Motto Translation: God is a strong tower to me.