The surname O'Furfuye comes from the Irish Gaelic name "O Foirbhithe," pronounced "furvihe," from the Gaelic adjective meaning "perfect" or "complete."
Early Origins of the O'Furfuye family
The surname O'Furfuye was first found in County Louth
(Irish: Lú) the smallest county in Ireland
, located on the East coast, in the Province of Leinster
, where Patrick O'Fewrthy, was noted in 1428 when he incurred excommunication at Armagh for an unrepentant injury to the property of the Abbey of Knock, County Louth.
Early History of the O'Furfuye family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our O'Furfuye research.Another 99 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1602, 1664 and 1841 are included under the topic Early O'Furfuye History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
O'Furfuye Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Furphy, O'Furphy, Furfey, Furpey, O'Furfuye, O'Fuorphy and many more.
Early Notables of the O'Furfuye family (pre 1700)
Another 21 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early O'Furfuye Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the O'Furfuye family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Pat Furpey, who landed in New York in 1848; William Furfey, who died in Roxbury, Massachusetts in 1854; and Mary Furpy, who arrived in New York in 1858..
The O'Furfuye Motto
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Lamb dearg Eirin
Motto Translation: The red hand of Ireland.