The Italian Nappa surname has several possible derivations. It may have come from the words "nappa gib," meaning "large nose," or perhaps from the Calabrian term "nappa," used to denote a "clay dish." In either case, the Nappa surname is thought to have evolved from a nickname
. In general, Nappi would have been a plural form of the word, while Nappa, would have been more popular as a name in Southern Italy.
Early Origins of the Nappa family
The surname Nappa was first found in Ancona, an important seaport town and province in Eastern Italy, home to the 11th century Cathedral of Ancona. Ancona was part of the Holy Roman Empire
in the 12th century, and then, in the 16th century, it came under papal protection. Four members of the Nappi family of Ancona took holy orders including Filippo Nappi, in 1567, Francesco Nappi, in 1583, another Francesco in 1587, and Cesare-Marcellino Nappi in 1654.
Early History of the Nappa family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Nappa research.Another 75 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1550, 1573, 1621, 1638, 1656, 1659, and 1704 are included under the topic Early Nappa History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Nappa Spelling Variations
Early Notables of the Nappa family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was the aforementioned Francesco Nappi, who was vice-envoy (vicelegato) of Bologna under Pope Paul "Paolo" V (1550-1621), and was made bishop of... Another 27 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Nappa Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Nappa family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Nappa Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Amillo Nappa, aged 34, who landed in America from S. Angela a Scala, in 1904
- Giuseppe Nappa, aged 23, who emigrated to America from Pozzuoli, Italy, in 1907
- Carmela Nappa, aged 4, who landed in America from Bellona, Italy, in 1909
- Angela Nappa, aged 23, who emigrated to the United States from Lione, Italy, in 1910
- Arcangelo Nappa, aged 53, who settled in America from S. Angelo, Italy, in 1910
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Nappa (post 1700)
- Mike Nappa (b. 1963), American author of more than 50 books
Nappa Family Crest Products