Mobbeley History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Mobbeley family
The surname Mobbeley was first found in Cheshire at Mobberley, a parish, in the union of Altrincham, hundred of Bucklow.   The parish dates back to the Domesday Book of 1086 when it was first listed as Motburlege and literally meant "clearing at the fortification where meetings are held," from the Old English "mot" + "burh" + "leah." 
Moberly was held by Bigot de Loges at the time of the taking of the Domesday Book and conjecturally, the family name is descended from this ancient Norman Baron. St Wilfrid's Church, Mobberley traces it's origin to the oldest part of the church dating about 1245.
Early records revealed Patrick de Mobberley founded an Augustinian priory here in 1206 in honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St. Wilfrid, but the priory only existed for a short time. During a restoration in 1888, remains of a Saxon church were also found. Nearby, Mobberley Old Hall is a country house that dates back to 1612.
One of the first records of the family was Patrick Moberlegh who was listed in East Cheshire c. 1220. Almost one hundred years later, William de Modburlegh was listed in Cheshire in 1308.  Ralph de Modberleg was listed in the Assize Rolls of Cheshire in 1260. 
Early History of the Mobbeley family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Mobbeley research. Another 85 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1565, 1568, 1585 and 1756 are included under the topic Early Mobbeley History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Mobbeley Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Moberley, Mobberley, Mobeley, Mobdurley, Mobley and others.
Early Notables of the Mobbeley family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Mobbeley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Mobbeley family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Edward Mobeley settled in Boston in 1712; George and Addie Mobley settled in New York in 1878.
Related Stories +
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ Smith, Eldson Coles, New Dictionary of American Family Names New York: Harper & Row, 1956. Print
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)