Masland History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Masland family
The surname Masland was first found in Shropshire where the family name was first referenced in the 12th century when Richard, son of Mescelin, held the estates in 1187. He is believed to be descended from William de Meschines, younger brother of Ranulph, 3rd Earl of Chester, who was descended from the Viscounts of Bessin, in the Department of Calvados in Normandy, and who held the honor of Skipton, in Yorkshire, from Richard Banistre, a Norman Baron of Cheshire who also held lands in Capite in Shropshire. Robert is mentioned as witness to a deed in 1106. There is also a vague relationship to Robert of Rhudlan, kinsman of Duke William. Richard, descendent of William, who was an under-tenant in Shropshire in 1187.
Up in Cumberland, more early records of the family were found. "The township lies between the river Ehen on the east, and the Irish Sea on the west, and contains the venerable remains of Egremont Castle, built soon after the Conquest by William de Meschines, the first Baron of Copeland, and still exhibiting traces of strength and grandeur." 
Early History of the Masland family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Masland research. Another 191 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1203, 1455, 1487, 1510, 1600, 1165, 1811, 1611, 1679, 1660, 1172 and are included under the topic Early Masland History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Masland Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Mascelin, Maskelyne, Maskelyne, Masculine, Masculyne, Maslen, Maslin, Mechen, Meshin, Machine, Miskin, Meskin, Meschine and many more.
Early Notables of the Masland family (pre 1700)
Another 29 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Masland Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Masland family to Ireland
Some of the Masland family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 102 words (7 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Masland migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Masland Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Hugh Masland, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1683 
Contemporary Notables of the name Masland (post 1700) +
- Al Masland, American Republican politician, Candidate in primary for U.S. Representative from Pennsylvania 19th District, 2000 
Related Stories +
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 6) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html