The surname Conti derives from the word "conte," which is itself derived from the Latin comes "comitis," which literally means companion and was then defined as a servant in the retinue of a king or emperor. The term "count" had already become defined as a high-ranking dignitary by the Middle Ages.
Early Origins of the Lo conte family
The surname Lo conte was first found in the cities of Ferrara, Venice
, Milan, Pavia, Assisi, Bologna, and Padua. Contarini is one of the founding families of Venice
and one of the oldest families of the Italian Nobility. One of the oldest records of the family was Marco Aurelio Contarini, Roman Consul elected at Padua, took part in the third Consular Triumvirate of Rialto, from 425 to 426. From this early beginning, the family had a long list of positions of authority including: Marco Aurelio Contarini, one of 12 Tribunes who elected the first Doge in 697; Luigi Contarini, Procurator of San Marco in 864; Antonio Contarini, Procurator of San Marco in 865 and many more.
Early History of the Lo conte family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Lo conte research.Another 294 words (21 lines of text) covering the years 1099, 1206, 1308, 1585, 1593, 1580, 1656, 1655, 1656, 1601, 1684, 1677, 1749, 1681 and 1760 are included under the topic Early Lo conte History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Lo conte Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Conti, Conte, Cont, Cunto, Cunti, Contessa, Del Conte, Lo Conte, Loconte, Li Conti, Liconti, Contiello, Contini, Contino, Contìn, Contarelli, Contareno, Contarini, Contilli, Continelli, Continoli, Conticelli, Conticello, Conticini and many more.
Early Notables of the Lo conte family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Conte, Cardinal of Milan in 1099; Ardiccione and Bartolomeo Conte, Bishops in Modena and Novara, respectively; Bernardo Conte, "president" of Turin around this time; Federico Contarelli, head of the Guelph faction in Ferrara in 1206; Matteo Contarelli considered the wisest man in the law... Another 198 words (14 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Lo conte Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Lo conte family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Lo conte Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Domenico Loconte, aged 38, who arrived in America from Castroreale, Italy, in 1906
- Luigi Loconte, aged 16, who arrived in America from Castroreale, Italy, in 1906
- Cesare LoConte, aged 22, who arrived in America from Mussomeli, Italy, in 1907
- Domenico Loconte, aged 34, who arrived in America from Bibrifto, Italy, in 1908
- Biagio Loconte, aged 57, who arrived in America from Bitritto, Italy, in 1909
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Lo conte (post 1700)
- Mikelangelo Loconte (b. 1973), Italian singer, author, composer, musician, performer and artistic director, best known for his leading role as Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart in the musical Mozart, l'opéra rock