Essex was recorded in the Domesday Book as "Litelbyria" manor and was owned by Ely Abbey from the ninth century.
Early Origins of the Littelbury family
Essex, at Littlebury, a small village that dates back to Saxon times when it was first listed as Lylanbyrig c. 1000. The place name literally means "little fort or stronghold," from the Old English words "lytel" + "burh." CITATION[CLOSE]
Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4) The parish church of Holy Trinity was built c. 1163 on the site of a Roman camp. Hence, conjecturally, the surname is descended from the tenant of the lands of Fillingham, held by Anskettle from Roger Poitou a Norman Baron who was recorded in the Domesday Book census of 1086.
Early History of the Littelbury family
Another 239 words (17 lines of text) covering the years 1510, 1600, 1190, 1274, 1267, 1272 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Littelbury History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Littelbury Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Littlebury, Littlebry, Littleberry, Littleberrie, Littleburrie, Liddlebury and many more.
Early Notables of the Littelbury family (pre 1700)
Another 41 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Littelbury Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Littelbury family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Thomas Littlebury, who came to Philadelphia in 1832.
Littelbury Family Crest Products