The majestic country of France is the ancestral homeland of the distinguished surname Lendrie.The earliest forms of hereditary surnames
in France were the patronymic
surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. The patronyms were derived from a variety of given names that were of many different origins. As well as the names of the saints of the Christian Church, many of the most common French surnames are derived from personal names of Germanic origin. The name Lendrie is derived from the ancient Greek name Andreas, which means manly.
Early Origins of the Lendrie family
The surname Lendrie was first found in Lorraine
at Barrois, part of the duchy of Bar, which in the Middle Ages was part of the duchy of Lorraine
. Landry is now a commune in the Savoie
department in the Rhône-Alpes region in south-eastern France.
Early History of the Lendrie family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Lendrie research.Another 203 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1789, 1330 and 1404 are included under the topic Early Lendrie History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Lendrie Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Landry, Landres, Landre, Landrey, Landrie and others.
Early Notables of the Lendrie family (pre 1700)
Notable in the family name was Geoffrey IV de la Tour Landry (c.
1330-1404), French nobleman from Anjou
who fought in the Hundred
Years War. He wrote Livre pour l'enseignement de ses filles ("The Book... Another 35 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Lendrie Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Lendrie family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Abraham and Marguerite Landry who settled in Oxford Maryland in 1763; along with Alexandre, Amant, Anne, and Anastasie Landry; Claude Landry arrived in Quebec in 1743 from Ile-de-France.