Home

Digital Products

Prints

Apparel

Home & Barware

Gifts


Customer Service



Leereys History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms



While many Irish names are familiar, their past incarnations are often shrouded in mystery, reflecting the ancient Gaelic heritage of their bearers. The original Gaelic form of the name Leereys is O Laoghaire, which was originally derived from Laoghaire, one of the most well-known personal names in ancient Ireland.

Early Origins of the Leereys family


The surname Leereys was first found in County Cork (Irish: Corcaigh) the ancient Kingdom of Deis Muin (Desmond), located on the southwest coast of Ireland in the province of Munster, where they held a family seat from ancient times.

Early History of the Leereys family


This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Leereys research.
Another 171 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 117 and 1172 are included under the topic Early Leereys History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.

Leereys Spelling Variations


Official documents, crafted by early scribes and church officials, primarily contained names that were spelled according to their pronunciation. This lead to the problem of one name being recorded under several different variations, creating an illusion that a single person was many people. Among the many spelling variations of the surname Leereys that are preserved in the archival documents of the time are Leary, O'Leary, O'Leery and others.

Early Notables of the Leereys family (pre 1700)


Another 22 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Leereys Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.

Migration of the Leereys family to the New World and Oceana


In the 18th and 19th centuries hundreds of thousands of Irish people immigrated to North American shores. The early settlers were enticed by the promise of their own land, but they were moderately well off in Ireland when they decided to emigrate. Therefore, they were merely carrying out a long and carefully thought out decision. The 1840s saw the emergence of a very different trend: thousands of extremely desperate people crammed into passenger boats hoping to find any type of opportunity. The Irish of this decade had seen their homeland severely stricken by crop failures which resulted in widespread disease and starvation. At whatever time the Irish immigrants came to North America, they were instrumental in the rapid development of the emerging nations of the United States and what would become known as Canada. An exhaustive search of passenger and immigration lists has revealed many persons bearing the name Leereys, or one of its variants: Daniel, Denis, George, Jeremiah, John, Michael, Patrick, Thomas and William Leary, who all arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1860; other Learys arrived in the ports of Boston, New York, San Francisco, Quebec..

The Leereys Motto


The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.

Motto: Laidir isé lear Righ
Motto Translation: Strong is the King of the sea.


Leereys Family Crest Products



See Also


Sign Up