The surname lazzari came from the forename Lazzaro. The name Lazzaro itself is derived from the Greek word La'zar, which means La, or God, and azara, meaning help. Thus the surname means may God help him, or God has helped, by granting a child.
Early Origins of the lazzari family
The surname lazzari was first found in Modena (Etruscan: Mutna; Latin: Mutina; Modenese: Mòdna), one of the more prosperous cities at this early time. The most ancient records of this lineage are found in 902 with Feramondo Lazzara, of the castle of Lazzara near Modena.
Early History of the lazzari family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our lazzari research.Another 45 words (3 lines of text) covering the years 1440, 1617, 1689, 1411, 1529, 1531 and 1765 are included under the topic Early lazzari History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
lazzari Spelling Variations
Surnames that originated in Italy are characterized by an enormous number of spelling variations
. Some of these are derived from regional traditions and dialects. Northern names, for instance, often end in "o", while southern names tend to end in "i". Other variations come from the fact the medieval scribes tended to spell according to the sound of words, rather than any particular set of rules. The recorded variations of lazzari include Lazzari, Lazzaro, Lazzara, Dei Lazara, Lazario, Lazaretti, Lazzeri, Lazzero, De Lazzari, Lazzarelli, Lazzaretti, Lazzeretti, Lazzarini, Lazzarino, Lazzarin, Lazzerini, Lazzarotti, Lazzarotto, Lazzaroni, Lazzarone, Lazzaron, Lazzeroni, Lazzarato, Lazzarutti and many more.
Early Notables of the lazzari family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Dionisio Lazzari (1617-1689), an Italian sculptor and architect; Daniele dei Lazara, Commander of the Knights of Emperor Frederick II; Giacomo Lazario was mayor of Varazze in 1411; Oberto Cattaneo-Lazzaro, doge of Genoa from 1529 to 1531; Sinibaldo Lazzari mayor of... Another 46 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early lazzari Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the lazzari family to the New World and Oceana
An examination into the immigration and passenger lists has discovered a number of people bearing the name lazzari:
lazzari Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Angela Lazzari, aged 20, who emigrated to the United States from Monochia, Italy, in 1907
- Antonio Lazzari, aged 24, who landed in America from Lucca, in 1907
- Aleandro Lazzari, aged 37, who settled in America from Lucca, Pescaglia, in 1909
- Alaide Lazzari, aged 23, who emigrated to the United States from Coselli, Lucca, in 1912
- Annunziata Lazzari, aged 25, who emigrated to America from Montagnano, Italy, in 1912
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name lazzari (post 1700)
- Pietro Lazzari (1895-1979), Italian artist and sculptor, illustrator and printmaker
- Flavio Lazzari (b. 1986), Italian footballer
- Andrea Lazzari (b. 1984), Italian footballer
- Rodrigo De Lazzari (b. 1980), Brazilian footballer
- Josef Fortunat Silvester "Sylvio" Lazzari (1857-1944), French composer
- Silvio Lazzari (1857-1944), French composer