100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: Danish, German, Norwegian, Swedish
Where did the Norwegian larsen family come from? What is the Norwegian larsen family crest and coat of arms? When did the larsen family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the larsen family history?The origin of the distinguished larsen family can be traced to the rugged Scandinavian country of Norway. The surname larsen is derived from the personal name Lars, which is a pet form of the name Lawrence. This name is in turn derived from the Latin name Laurentius, which literally means man from Laurentium, a town in Italy named for its laurels or bay trees. The popularity of this name in medieval Europe is due to the exploits of a saint who was martyred at Rome in the 3rd century. The suffix -sen and its variants are translatable as son of.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
larsen Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Jorgen Larsen, aged 24, arrived in New York, NY in 1840
- Hans Peter Larsen, aged 2, landed in New York, NY in 1843
- Christian Larsen, who landed in New York, NY in 1844
- Christin Larsen, aged 40, arrived in New York in 1849
- A. G. Brenhold Larsen, who came to New York, NY in 1849
larsen Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- John Larsen, who landed in Mississippi in 1904
- Lars Wilhelm Larsen, who landed in Mobile, Ala in 1906
- Olaf Larsen, who arrived in Alabama in 1915
larsen Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Hans Larsen, aged 32, a farm labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "England" in 1872
- Karen Larsen, aged 31, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "England" in 1872
- Elizabeth Larsen, aged 8, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "England" in 1872
- Lauritz Larsen, aged 5, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "England" in 1872
- Hans Larsen, aged 3, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "England" in 1872
- Donald James "Don" Larsen (b. 1929), American Major League Baseball player who pitched the only perfect game in a World Series, in 1956
- Jakob Larsen (1888-1974), American classical scholar
- Nella Larsen (1891-1964), American novelist
- Carl Anton Larsen (1860-1924), Norwegian mariner and Antarctic explorer, eponym of the Larsen Ice Shelf, Antarctica
- Marit Elisabeth Larsen (b. 1983), Norwegian singer and songwriter
- Peter Orry Larsen (b. 1989), Norwegian footballer
- Ragnar Nikolay Larsen (1925-1982), Norwegian football midfielder
- Kevin Larsen (b. 1986), Norwegian footballer
- Glen Atle Larsen (b. 1982), Norwegian footballer
- Leif Holger Larsen (1954-2015), Norwegian diplomat, Ambassador to Pakistan (since 2014), killed in the 2015 Pakistan Army Mil Mi-17 crash
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
The larsen Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The larsen Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 11 May 2015 at 16:18.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!