on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: Danish
The origin of the distinguished larsen family can be traced to the rugged Scandinavian country of Norway. The surname larsen is derived from the personal name
Lars, which is a pet form of the name Lawrence. This name is in turn derived from the Latin name Laurentius, which literally means man from Laurentium, a town in Italy named for its laurels or bay trees. The popularity of this name in medieval Europe is due to the exploits of a saint who was martyred at Rome in the 3rd century. The suffix -sen and its variants are translatable as son of.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
larsen Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Jorgen Larsen, aged 24, arrived in New York, NY in 1840
- Hans Peter Larsen, aged 2, landed in New York, NY in 1843
- Christian Larsen, who landed in New York, NY in 1844
- Christin Larsen, aged 40, arrived in New York in 1849
- A. G. Brenhold Larsen, who came to New York, NY in 1849
larsen Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- John Larsen, who landed in Mississippi in 1904
- Lars Wilhelm Larsen, who landed in Mobile, Ala in 1906
- Olaf Larsen, who arrived in Alabama in 1915
larsen Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Hans Larsen, aged 32, a farm labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "England" in 1872
- Karen Larsen, aged 31, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "England" in 1872
- Elizabeth Larsen, aged 8, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "England" in 1872
- Lauritz Larsen, aged 5, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "England" in 1872
- Hans Larsen, aged 3, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "England" in 1872
- Ralph Larsen (1938-2016), American businessman, Chief Executive Officer of Johnson & Johnson from 1989 to 2002
- Donald James "Don" Larsen (b. 1929), American Major League Baseball player who pitched the only perfect game in a World Series, in 1956
- Nella Larsen (1891-1964), American novelist
- Jakob Larsen (1888-1974), American classical scholar
- Helge Solum Larsen (1969-2015), Norwegian businessman and politician
- Leif Holger Larsen (1954-2015), Norwegian diplomat, Ambassador to Pakistan (since 2014), killed in the 2015 Pakistan Army Mil Mi-17 crash
- Glen Atle Larsen (b. 1982), Norwegian footballer
- Kevin Larsen (b. 1986), Norwegian footballer
- Ragnar Nikolay Larsen (1925-1982), Norwegian football midfielder
- Peter Orry Larsen (b. 1989), Norwegian footballer
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
The larsen Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The larsen Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 14 March 2016 at 14:57.
on orders of $85 or more