lape History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The ancient and distinguished German surname lape is of two possible origins. Firstly, it is derived from the Middle High German word "lappe," meaning "dim, naive, simpleton." In this case, the name was probably initially bestowed as a nickname on someone who was thought to be a fool, or in an ironic way on someone very intelligent. Alternatively, the name may be derived from "Lauba," the name of a town near Saarbrücken, Rhineland.
Early Origins of the lape family
The surname lape was first found in Swabia, where it is thought to have first emerged. The earliest recorded bearer of the name was Johannes dictus (called) Lape, who was a monk living in the town of St. Trudbert in the Black Forest region of Swabia in 1267. The young lape family played a major role in the early history of the region, and contributed greatly to the development of medieval Swabian society.
Early History of the lape family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our lape research. Another 128 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1267, 1440, 1434, 1566, 1582, 1663, 1773, 1843 and 1842 are included under the topic Early lape History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
lape Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Lapp, Lappe, Lape, Labbe and others.
Early Notables of the lape family (pre 1700)
Another 44 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early lape Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
lape migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
lape Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Mrs. Lape, who arrived in Cincinnati in 1802
- Lazarus Lape, who arrived in Ohio sometime between 1809 and 1852
- John Lape, who arrived in Baltimore in 1855
- Carrie Lape, aged 17, who immigrated to America, in 1894
- M Lape, aged 32, who landed in America, in 1894
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
lape Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Giacomo Lape, aged 13, who landed in America, in 1906
- Leonarda Lape, aged 12, who settled in America from Mongireffi, Sicily, in 1912
- Jose Lape, aged 34, who immigrated to the United States, in 1922
Contemporary Notables of the name lape (post 1700) +
- Beth Lape Nordlund, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Alaska, 2000 
Related Stories +